Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

You thought my vette running good until it gets warm and…

You thought my vette running...
You thought my vette running good until it gets warm and than it dies until it cool down and then will start again was due to the ignition control module but just had it checked at the auto store and it was good....Any other suggestions
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Hi there. You requested Jerry originally, but it seems like he isn't online at the moment.

Yes, I would be suspicious of the pick up coil in the distributor.

Distributor needs to come out for this, and then the engine will need to be retimed once the distributor goes back in.

Putting the ignition control module back in I noticed that one of the wires was separated in the plug that goes into the end of the control module....It still looks as if it will connect ok but it is separated from the rest of the plug how big of a thing could that be....

Big.

The pick up coil sends an AC signal to the module, so the module can open and close the primary circuit of the ignition coil. If the pick up coil doesn't work, or if that wire touches anything inside the distrubutor, the car stops running.

Trying to find a wiring harness now I think you have to replace that to at least check it off the list....

So this is the pick up coil in the distributor... it is under the rotor, and the distributor shaft has to come out, which means r and r the distributor...

Are you talking about the harness that goes to the distributor?

This harness has 3 wires going into a plug on the right side of the ignition control module and it sits right beside another smaller plug that also is attached to the right side of the ignition control module and when you place the ICM back into the distributor the ICM plugs back on the left side into the pick up coil ...

OK - yeah any issue there could cause a no start, but the stall and no start when it heats up sounds like classic pick up coil... but yes, fix or replace any ratty wiring, and it still may need the pick up coil

I am checking several different places for the harness and I will replace the pick up coil also just in case Thanks for the help...

OK! Chances are good this will work. Regards, Canuck

If you can get a GM part number for that harness, you may be able to find some new old stock on eBay... Just a thought.

That would be outstanding most places I have called are having a hard time coming up with exactly were the harness is so a part number would be great....thanks again

I can send you a picture of the wiring diagram, and that may help the parts person. I can't look up the part number though - I just don't have that technology... yet.

Email address? I can't upload pics onto this platform, speaking of technology...

http://www.corvettepacifica.com/products/18038/harness-wire-terminal-block-and-distributor-module-to-coil-all-75-91/

Sorry had to pick up my son....E-Mail***@******.*** Thanks for the follow up

That link may lead to the harness you are seeking...

If you are satisfied with my service, please close up the question, and rate my answer. Thanks! Canuck

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Thank you!