Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I need to siphon gas out of my C5 Corvette. I am taking it…

I need to siphon...

I need to siphon gas out of my C5 Corvette. I am taking it to a sale, and they restrict the amount of gas that can be in the cars to 1/4 of a tank due to fire regulations. What is the easiest way to do this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No it has not. It starts fine. We are just selling it and need to comply with the rules. So--need to know how to siphon out some.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Corvette?

2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corvette yourself? What have you tried so far?

We are not fixing it! We are selling it. I have tried nothing, because I do not know what procedure I need to do.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

There is a siphon tool that most parts stores sell that you can do this task with. It does take a while to siphon out, or you can take it to a shop where they can get out the amount you need in only minutes.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Ok, what I really need how to get the braided stainless fuel line from the fuel rail to the line coming through the firewall.

That's pretty intense for such a minor feat. You can accomplish that with a fuel pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail and just hold open the valve from the return line and let it flow into a container. It's a slow process though. Most any shop would do this for you for free if you just let them keep the gas they took out:)

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep this link.

Thanks again, Ron

This reply does not help me at all.

Why not? You're making this way more complex that it really is.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars for my time and accurate reply.

Where is the valve from the return line located?

The valve is on the fuel pressure tester, NOT the fuel rail. This is how we also check fuel volume in the shop.You can borrow/rent a gauge from most parts store to do this.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me for my assistance.

Okay, so are we good now? Any more questions?

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor