Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 1500 SUBURBAN. Radio works sometimes, then tonight

2001 1500 SUBURBAN. Radio...

2001 1500 SUBURBAN. Radio works sometimes, then tonight while driving, the dash gauges started bouncing. The fuel gauge, engine temp, cruise control gauged quit as well. Then the security light cycled over and over with the battery icon and low fuel warning.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

The light is solid but cycles thru those 3 lights while driving. After I got home and the truck cooled off, it went back to normal operation

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am, I have gm tech experience. Nothing, trying to trouble shoot

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that the radio started acting up days ago. It will shut off, clock included, and not even turn on

also, the emer brake light would come on along with the d/s airbag light
3/9/2018
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

first, lets try something simple,,

Remove both battery cables from the battery, turn on the ignition, touch and hold both the - and the + cables together for 5 seconds, turn off the ignition, then re-install them back to the battery

let me know if this fixed the problem

Ok I'll try that. I just went out and started it and all is fine, even the presets on the radio came back. I have noticed that at start up, the volt meter is at almost 15 volts. It does come down as the day goes on. While it was running, I disconnected the neg cable and the volts dropped to a tick over 14. Could it just be a battery issue? Thanks

do not take the cable off of this one with it running

yes,,it could be the battery or maybe even the alternator

Ok

if that little trick i gave you doesnt fix your problem..do a load test on the battery and alternator

if the battery and alternator is good..i then think the problem m ay be the ignition switch

so try the batty cable trick i gave you first,,,this will reset the bcm

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Ok will do. And I'll get a volt meter on it to see if it's overcharging as well. Thank you

you are very welcome

ok, so I did that lil trick. It hasnt been acting up at all today. I was concerned about the voltage being so high all of a sudden. Checked with a volt meter and removed the battery and had it tested. no issues at all with the battery. Volts are fluctuating from 14.35 to 14.5 at idle and warmed up. I guess I will see if it happens again and try to narrow the issue down. I also checked all grounds from engine to body and frame. All are good.

OK..IT MAY BE OK NOW.THANKS

Tim's Auto Repair
far so good. Issue hasnt come back....yet