Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We have a 2015 Tahoe and had a recall on the electrical

Customer Question
We have a 2015...

We have a 2015 Tahoe and had a recall on the electrical system probably 2 years ago. Up until that point we didn't have to use the DVD remote to play a movie but could if we chose to. After the recall/electrical update that they did we can not get the DVD to play. We lost the remote but have two now that we ordered. We can't get them to work. Can you PLEASE help as we are leaving for vacation Sat. morning.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No - just need to figure out how to connect the remote to the DVD player. Thank you!

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
Do you need to know the type of DVD remote we have?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
or any response is fine.
3/9/2018
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment. Can you post your VIN so I Can see what options and recall were done?

We dropped it of at the dealership this morning. Hopefully they can fix it. Will keep you posted.
Picking up the Tahoe now. I will send the vin number as soon as I get the vehicle. They are saying the entire system has to be replaced which makes no sense at all. We haven’t been able to use the DVD player since they did that electrical update and it worked just fine prior to that.

What system needed to be replaced?

I think the electrical system but there was a recall or something from GM telling us that we needed to do it. We were not having any issues at all.
Tahoe VIN1GNSCCKC5FR577062
They said it was to reset the airbag but that had to have been done through the electrical system.

Ok sorry for the delay. yes there have been a couple recalls that are programming only. To have it happen since the did the recall originally is odd. Unless they pulled fuses for the DVD player, it should not have been impacted.

But how would I know if they pulled fuses? They are not going to tell me that. What zo KNOW is everything worked prior to that adjustment. I bought this vehicle from my dad - the DVD player has Only been played a hand full of times.

You can only look for the fuses. The ones in question are in the right hand dash fuse block, fuses could be in location 20, 29 or 36.

it’s only a 2015...It’s not an old system - I don’t understand how it worked completely fine and they do this update and the DVD system doesn’t work and we now have to pay 600.00

i agree, that new it should not have issues.
There is one thing I would try, its a global reset.

Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.

just for no reason my DVD player doesn’t work? Even though it worked completely fine before?

What I want to see is if this reset works. Its possible the system entered a logic lock up. This would cause it not to work and this reset may correct that.
Otherwise all we can do is check power, ground and network to the DVD player, if thinner in tact then we know its a DVD failure.
Have you tried calling the GM customer support line and discussing this with them? Asking them why its not covered considering it happened after a Dealer did a recall.

I am so sorry for not responding - we are on vacation.What is the reset that We should try?I called GM once we realized the DVD didn’t work but they said we had to have a remote to reactivate the system. ( which we didn’t have).
this was over a year ago.

Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle. If you have 2 batteries, then remove both and touch only one set.