Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Head gasket if to much water got into the cylinder can it…

Customer Question
Blown head gasket if to...
Blown head gasket if to much water got into the cylinder can it cause vaper lock 350 chevy
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
3/9/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Mike S., Chevy Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

It's not technically called a "vapor lock". That was the term used when gasoline in the fuel line on very hot days would vaporize, thus making the fuel not reach the carburetor. That was just about eliminated when they moved the fuel pumps to the tank so the fuel pump would push gasoline and not have to pull it when it was located near or on the engine because pulling could create a vapor lock cause the gasoline wasn't under pressure until it reached the engine.

Now, when coolant entering the engine cylinders due to a blown head gasket or a crack in the cylinder wall into the coolant jacket around the cylinder, the coolant could prevent the piston from reaching top dead center because fluid (coolant) cannot be compressed like air and gas vapor can, so it would cause the engine to lockup or what they call Hydrolock (a shorthand notation for hydrostatic lock).

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.
Just because you became a member doesn't mean you don't still have to rate the expert when done so he gets credit for his time.

I remember you. You was stuck at that auto-parts store and found some metal in your oil pan.

So you think a blown head gasket and hydrolock perhaps broke something?

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic