Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 97 chevy Z24. I replaced the clutch pressure plate…

I have a 97...

I have a 97 chevy Z24. I replaced the clutch pressure plate and slave cylinder. It ran when I tested for leaked while on the jackstands. I put it all back together put the wheels on it and set it down. Now all it does it tool over and will not start. The fuel pump is Working

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

It's a brand new clutch

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 Chevy?

Cavalier Z24

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am getting a roll over and no start. It has fire but not gett fuel

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think the anti theft shut the injectors down

3/8/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Is there a security light lit up on the dash with the key on?

it's on steady.

OK, are you sure you reconnected all of the ground cables and things when you reinstalled the transmission?

I turn the key on the fuel pump turns on it rolls over but will not start.
sir I did

OK. Are you familiar with the theft deterrent relearn procedure for this car?

No sir I'm not

OK, it's pretty easy, and I want you to try it. No guarantees of success, but it's free and worth a shot.

Sit in the car, try to start it, leave key on, wait ten minutes. At the end of ten minutes, security light should go out. When it does, key off, try to start car again, leave key on again. Ten minutes until light goes out, then key off, and do it a third time, wait for ten minutes for light to go out, then key off.

So, a total of 30 minutes, 10 minutes at a time. Wait for the security light to go out each time, if it never goes out, there's a hard failure of some kind that needs repairing. But if it works, on the 4th try, the engine should start.

Try that and see how it goes.

I have already tried this and it didn't help

Ah, OK, you said you weren't familiar with it.

Then there is a hard failure in the system that has to be diagnosed and repaired. Does your key have a chip in it, that you can see? Looks like a little black pellet.

No. No chip. Straight key

OK, that's what I thought, but I am playing from memory.

This has one of the original versions of Passlock, the system works with a sensor that simply watches the lock cylinder turn, then when it does, the sensor generates a code that it sends to a computer, and the computer decides whether to start the car or not based on what the stored value is vs. the actual value of this code.

If it won't relearn, there is a hard failure that needs to be diagnosed and repaired. In this case, the computer that reads this code and makes the decision is the instrument cluster, and the cluster sends a password ***** the PCM. So, there are three key components to this system, plus the wiring in between. And the failure could be in any part of it.

You need a good scan tool to figure this out. I don't know that it has anything to do with replacing the clutch, but I would treat it like there is no connection, it will make your life easier than trying to figure out how it's related. But figuring it out does require a good scan tool, and if you don't have one of those, short of throwing parts at it and hoping for the best, ***** *****'t be able to diagnose this.

I would spend the $90 or whatever is necessary to get a good diagnosis on this from a qualified mechanic. I understand you'll have to tow it, but there really isn't a way around it, except like I said, throwing a whole lot of parts at it and hoping you get it right.

Ok. I appreciate the help and the information. Thank you

You're welcome.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page. That's how I get compensated. Good luck with it!

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician