Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

How to reset security and radio on 04 impala. 04 impala the…

Customer Question
How to reset security...

How to reset security and radio on 04 impala

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?

04 impala the radio is locked n the security it flashing how do u reset

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am I’ve tried the 10 10 10 reprogramming of the key cause I changed out the key and switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I changed the motor cause head gasket went out the car had a aftermarket radio in it so I put stick radio back in the security is locked and the radio is lock I want to know how to unlock it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/8/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Does the car start? Or is it just the radio that is locked out?

Car will not start ... but if I cross the starter under hood the car will start for a couple seconds and shut off .. that’s only when I cross the starter under hook !! If I turn the key nothing happens the leash lites and that are normal when I turn key but no juicy to starter I tested wires to starter they have life I tested relay it has life

OK, you have a theft deterrent issue. Did you replace the key and switch in an attempt to fix this problem?

I’d i also did the 10 10 10 to reprogram key

Understood. The engine control module controls the starter, and it has to have data from the body control module before it will do that. Do you have a scan tool that will read these computers?

The security lite on the dash is staying in it’s not flashing so I think the key is programmed .. the red security lite on the radio is flashing
I have a i nova 3140e
Nothing comes back when I scan nothing in history
It does connect

If the car won't start, or it shuts off after two seconds when you jump the starter, the theft deterrent system is keeping it off. You have to find out what is wrong with the theft deterrent system or ECM. Only a scan tool will get you there.

If you just had the engine out of the car, we have to consider all sorts of connectors, wire damage, ground connections, etc. that can affect ECM operation. Do you have the ability to read ECM data?

ok so if it goes to shop what has to be done to unlock this
I went over all wiring several times and so has my friend to make sure everything is right and all grounds are connected
Hrllo

If this were in my shop, I would put the scan tool on it, and see if the ECM is disabling starting due to theft deterrent (it is, we already know that, but I want to verify the data communication). Then over to BCM, which will probably have a trouble code for whatever the security issue is. The BCM will tell the tale: not learned, learned but not valid, no communication with passlock, or something like that.

My scanner got a history it says the ebcm turned on redbrake warning

That is not relative to this problem. Unless there is an overall communications issue that caused the ABS system to turn on the red brake light. It's possible that there is bigger problem than just the no start.

You won't be able to figure this out without seeing BCM data. I highly recommend a pro diagnosis here, short of throwing parts at the car, you can't diagnose it without the BCM theft deterrent data to tell you where the malfunction is.

Did you get this worked out?

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

I did get it worked out I I looked up the security reset procedure on YouTube the procedure I was requesting from you which u never gave me a direct answer to .. It was pretty much a waste of 24 bucks .. or what every the fee was .. all u had to do was tell me I needed to leave the key on for a c amount of time and turn the key back and leave it on again for a certain time then it started right up ..
I didn’t use a scan tool I just you tubed the procedure

I'm sorry you had this trouble. You told me you did this procedure early in our conversation and it didn't work. My advice is predicated on the notion that you are doing the procedure correctly.

Good luck with it.

I said I used the 10 10 10 procedure but that was the wrong one to use .. would that have been the procedure u would have given me if so that would still be wrong
It was on for 30 mins the off for 20 seconds and then back on for 10 then off for 5 seconds again then it started
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

So the vehicle is starting now but the radio is still locked?

The auto starts yes !! The theft is independent from the radio so radio had no effect on the car theft device.. the radio has to be programmed to the car .. so I simply changed the radio out .. to a aftermarket .. no issues sense
I have no billing questions ! Advice I can offer is don’t over think the question ur being asked I’ve learned that sometimes diy people only need their question directly answered with out being asked lots of questions to cause confusions .. I think this would have been a lot easier if the direct question was answered right away.. and not questioned over and over
No matter how many years A person maybe at this type of work these autos are changing yearly.. so auto mechanics/ techs are learning something new almost everyday.. , that’s why a lot of shops have all data or those types of programs to help them ..
Ok so currently your car starts and the radio is aftermarket? Is this correct? And your aftermarket radio requires programming?