Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 5.3 automatic. The…

I have a 2006 Chevrolet...
I have a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 5.3 automatic.
The air conditioning won't come on, when I push the snowflake button it flashes a couple of times and then goes off. The IGN E and A/C COMP. fuse are both good. I can jump across terminals 30 and 87 on the A/C COMP RELAY and the compressor comes on. The system has a charge of 70psi not running.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Is this an auto or manual ac control system?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Auto

O.k., since the light is flashing this indicates the heater/ac control on the dash has set a fault code.It has detected a fault with one of its components.This can be the high pressure or low-pressure switch at fault as these were a common fault to cause this issue here.

Since you do have the auto temp control system what has to be done is to have the fault codes read out of the heater/ac control on the dash using a scan tool that can plug in and can communicate with all computers in your vehicle.Your heater/ac control assembly will set and store a fault code when an issue is detected.Having the codes checked in it ( has to be done with a scan tool that can read it as a basic code reader or cheaper hand held scan tool won't work ) will help to diagnose and locate the fault.

I suspect the pressure sensor in the ac accumulator may be faulty as this was a common issue but there are several sensors in your ac system that can cause the light to flash needing to be replaced.

The computer is not enabling the compressor due to the fault detected.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician