Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

In My 2015 Express cargo van the A/C does not work.

In My 2015 Express...

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

Yes evacuated and put in proper charge of 28 oz R134A

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Express Cargo yourself? What have you tried so far?

All fuses good and no codes with scan too

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Looking at the engine data shows no request for A/C through the ECM

3/8/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

The A/C high pressure switch interrupts the A/C request signal when the A/C line pressure is more than 420psi. It's the only thing that can interrupt the AC request. I've seen a high number of these fail, to the point that I would just replace it if your van were in my shop.

The pressure switch on the dryer/accumulator ohms closed, replaced the pressure sensor on the high side line going into the condenser. My Snapon scan tool shows no request for A/C clutch. I'm assuming there is a problem somewhere under the dash maybe the HVAC control. All fuses good under the seat and in the engine compartment fuse box.
A wire diagram or wire colors and connector locations to test for power would be helpful.
Would the ECM throw a high pressure code because it threw a low refrigerant code when I unhooked the low pressure sensor?
I know on my 2013 Tahoe if the high pressure sensor trips it says a message on the DIC

That's good info. Let me get some diagrams for you.

I copied and pasted the first line of my first response from the service manual. However, looking at the diagram, that doesn't appear to be true. It looks to me like the low pressure switch interrupts the request circuit.

To answer your question: ECM monitors the refrigerant pressure sensor. It's not a switch, like the low pressure cutout switch, it's a sensor that sends an actual pressure value to the ECM, so if you have/had a low pressure sensor code, you need to look at that sensor and circuit.

I think you're on the right track following the request command. See the diagram, you can see how it's laid out from HVAC control to BCM. BCM sends the request to the ECM via data bus, there is not a discrete circuit for A/C request.

Query the BCM and see if it's receiving the AC request. If not, jumper the low pressure switch and see if that changes.

I triggered the code by unplugging the low side switch.
I replaced the high side sensor so I think I need to be looking at the control and see if it's
Sending a 12v signal out to the BCM according to the wire diagram you just sent.
I have jumpered the low pressure switch and nothing happened.
For some reason my scan tool won't access the BCM
I'll look at the control and check for power and I'll get back to you. This one is kind of a mind tease! For sure

Here is a better description of the circuit, along with a trouble tree for compressor malfunction, this should get you there.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician