Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Theft deterrent locked, cannot reset. Is there a diy.

Theft deterrent locked, cannot...

Theft deterrent locked, cannot reset. Is there a diy

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

186,456 not in this manner. just could not start it today

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2003 tahoe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

If it is possible...Every reset info i could find

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What does the car with a padlock joining it mean??

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

yes the reset is as follows.

Turn the key on and attempt to start the car, It may crank, it may start and stall or it may do nothing at all, this is fine, still cycle the key to start then release the key back to run. Wait 10 minutes with the key in run. The passlock light should be flashing and the DIC will say "Service Vehicle" or "Security" or have a picture of a car with a lock during that 10 minute span. After 10 minutes has passed, turn off the car, count to 10, and try to start it again and release the key back to run. Wait another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again and release the key to run. Wait another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again. It should start up this time. The passlock has been learned. During this process, turn the fans off, radio off and cycle the headlights off so the battery will not go dead. If needed, use a battery charger.

If that does not work then our issues could include a bad passlock sensor in the steering column, specifically the housing that holds the ignition cylinder,wiring or the body control module.

If the relearn does not work, take the main connector apart at the base of the column and put a layer of electronics grease on the terminals and assemble. Then do the same for the 3 wire sensor in the ignition cylinder and finally the body control module wiring which is the module under the steering column.
If the relearn does not work still then replace the ignition cylinder housing and perform the relearn again.
If that does not fail then the body control module is failed and will require replacement.
This module will require programming to operate. The programming is done using a system we call SPS or service programming system. This system is software launched through the GM site that connects our computer or scanner to the Gm programming server to load the latest software into the module and set it up. As a dealer employee I automatically have access to this. There are some aftermarket shops that can do this, which I have no clue. You will have to ask them.

Ok Cam, it is dark and would like to do this in the daytime. Have tried other resets but yours is a little different. Tried the others for 4 hours. Hope my new battery will last for another 45 minutes tomorrow. Don't know if I can do the steering column thing, how do you take it apart... and then the module..how do i get to it. Need steps to do these things..please send info...Thanks

THe trim under the wheel has 2 screws and it pops off.
The trim on the column, that you pull the tilt lever out then work the trim loose as its only clipped from there.
The key to the relearn is trying to start then releasing back to run. If you don't cycle to start, it does not trigger the sensor and it will not relearn.

The other infos said to the on position, not run position, so this could have been part of the issue of doing the relearn. How do i get to the module?

Once you have the trim off both spots, you will see the module there.

What does it look like, so to know when i find it if needed. Is it under the dash or by the steering column?

It is a black box DIRECTLY under the steering column with several connectors in it.

Ok, and will see if your relearn steps works. Many thanks for the info. Many BLESSINGS to you!!!!!!!

Here is a photo.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer 3-5 and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have. Again if you need further information, please use the Reply/Continue Conversation link to ask for more help and I would be happy to assist you further. You do not need to give a negative rating or relist the question to get more help :)

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Morning Cam, tried to start but still did not start, flashing light comes on but the car with the lock on it does not stay on

So you have a different issue. Does the engine even crank with the starter?

No the engine does not start. I turn it on to start and it does nothing.

Ok, do you hear the starter relay click in the underhood fuse block when you turn the key on?

I hear like a click the starter is trying to engage

Do you have a test light? If so then it is best to test at the small stud at the starter when the key is in the start position. If there is no power there, then we need to start checking other places such as the starter relay, or the neutral safety switch. If there is power at that stud then you likely need a new starter if the battery and cables to the starter from the battery are good.

Norm checked and that the starter relay was bad
Does it start with a new relay?
It starts over and over just fine. Thanks

Perfect. Have a great evening.