Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Powersteering doesnt work. 2009 chevy malibu 2.4l. That

Powersteering doesnt work Mechanic's...

Powersteering doesnt work

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2009 chevy malibu 2.4l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

That depends on the problem. I dont know if its the pump or the sensor. I already checked the fuse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

I only checked the 80 amp fuse didnt know there was another.

3/7/2018
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

there was a recall for this issue back in 2014. GM realized that they had some issues with the motors on the rack. when they failed, you had manual steering only.

I would call your local GM dealer and give them your VIN number and see if are involved in that recall.

Roy

# 14116B: Product Safety - Electric Power Steering Assist - (Oct 23, 2014)

Subject: 14116A - Electric Power Steering Assist Models: 2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx 2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu 2005-2006 Pontiac G6 2008-2009 Pontiac G6 2008-2009 Saturn Aura Equipped with Electric Power Steering

The labor time has been revised for the Saturn AURA and the 2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu. Please discard all copies of bulletin 14116.

Condition

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in some 2004-2006 model year (MY) Chevrolet Malibu and Malibu Maxx, all 2005 and some 2006, 2008-2009 MY Pontiac G6, and some 2008-2009 Saturn Aura vehicles equipped with electric power steering (EPS). The subject vehicles equipped with EPS may experience a sudden loss of power steering assist that could occur at any time while driving. If the power steering assist is lost, a message is displayed on the Driver Information Center and a chime sounds to inform the driver. Steering control can be maintained, as the vehicle will revert to a manual steering mode, but would require greater driver effort at low vehicle speeds, which could result in an increased risk of a crash.

Correction

Dealers are to replace the torque sensor assembly.

Vehicles Involved

All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

The vin number was not on that list. I already checked with the dealer. That is why i am trying to find out what i need to change. The motor or the essembly with the sensor.

ok, there will be a code stored in the steering system that will lead us in the right direction. at this point it is pointing at the motor.

do you have a scan tool that can access the steering system??

Roy

Not to the steering system

ok, you will need to have someone read it for you. once we know the code, then we can determine through a flow chart the actual failure.

Roy

Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest