Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My abs light has been on for awhile. I have 2003 Safari, now…

My abs light has...

My abs light has been on for awhile. I have 2003 Safari, now the brake petal goes to the floor, nothing leaking brake fuild in the reservoir. is this the module causing this.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Brake light is on also.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Safari yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have done nothing yet, checking to see where to begin..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What it cost to fix

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Chevy Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Ok

3/7/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Hi. Two problems. ABS light was probably a bad wheel speed sensor. That didn't affect base brake operation, but no ABS.

Problem 2. The master cylinder. Pedal going to the floor? You need to get this checked out, and fixed. Now. This is a dangerous condition.

You may think you can change out the master cylinder, but no. When you change out the master cylinder on an ABS equipped vehicle, you need a scan tool to run the ABS hydraulic control unit, to get all the air out while bleeding the brakes. Not a do it yourself operation.

Ok, this sounds expensive. But, it must be done. thanks for the info.

You are welcome. Please close the question, and rate my service. Sorry to be the bearer of this news. The master cylinder repair isn't too bad. That will get you mobile again. Take care, Canuck.

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic