Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just purchased a 2007 chevy aveo and I cannot shut off the…

I just purchased a...

I just purchased a 2007 chevy aveo and I cannot shut off the car alarm and so any time I open the door with or without the key the alarm goes off. I can silence it with the key fob, but as soon as I turn the car on the alarm goes off for another 10 seconds or so and if anyone opens a door while it is running, same thing, 10 seconds of really annoying car alarm

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

One has the red light working, the other does not

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Aveo yourself? What have you tried so far?

I bought it yesterday, so I haven't tried anything yet, needed to go to work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is it

3/7/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

When you say "car alarm" I need to distinguish: is it a siren, or is the horn honking?

horn honking and 4 ways flashing

When did it start doing this? Just for no apparent reason, or was it after a repair or anything like that?

I bought it yesterday and used the lock on the key fob and it has not shut off since then

Does it silence if you hit unlock on the key fob?

the fob only has 2 buttons, one for the trunk and one for the alarm I suppose, but it does not actually lock or unlock the car
It will silence the alarm unless the car gets turned on, then the alarm goes for 10 seconds and then shuts off

What does the fob look like, can you take a photo and upload it here for me?

I don't have a smart phone, but it has 2 buttons attached to the physical key and a sm red light next to the picture of a key button and another button with a picture of the trunk

OK, I got it. And if you hit the key button again, does this do anything to affect the alarm?

NOT IF THE CAR IS RUNNING, BUT SHUTS IT OFF WHEN NOT RUNNING, UNTIL DOOR IS OPENED AGAIN

The only explanation for this is a failed door lock receiver. This receiver is the device that receives the info from your key fob, and generates the alarm. If it has a mind of its own (and it seems like it does) I would be looking to replace the receiver.

Since you just bought it yesterday, have you discussed this with the car lot or person you bought it from? They may know something about the history with this car that would shed some light on this.

OK, THANK YOU

You're welcome!

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, I am happy to follow up with you.

WOULD IT SHUT IT OFF IF I DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY AND RECONNECTED IT AND JUST DIDNT LOCK IT?

It might. Disconnect the battery, and touch the two cable ends together for a few seconds. That clears all the memory in the computers of the car. Then reconnect and see how it does.

OK, WILL DO AFTER WORK, THANK YOU

You're welcome, let me know how it goes.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician