Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I brought a Chevy Colbalt from someone and the key thatI…

Hello I brought a...

Hello I brought a Chevy Colbalt from someone and the key thatI Have does not open the trunk. The battery must be dead no lights come on so I can’t pop the trunk from the inside how can I get in the trunk to get the battery out ??

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

No I did not

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’m trying to get in the trunk to see if the car is there because of the battery because the car was working fine and then one day I tried to go and start the car up the lights came on at that time but does not come on anymore nothing comes on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that’s it just trying to get in the trunk so that I can replace the battery

3/7/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Put a jump start on the vehicle using cables or a battery charger, and attach under the hood. There are access points under the hood where you can attach jumper cables or a battery charger, then you can pop the trunk with the button, and replace the battery.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, I am happy to follow up with you.

Ok great that worked. Now we trying to jump the battery the lights come on the key will turn but it have a car with a lock on it so the car is not cranking up all the way to start

OK, this is a theft deterrent issue. Did you replace the battery yet?

No just trying to jump it
Should I replace the battery
Everything is coming on in the car so I don’t think it’s the battery

If the battery needs replacement anyway, I would go ahead and replace it now. This security problem may require more work, though.

Do you think it was a security problem all along?

The battery shouldn't have been dead, that's what concerns me.

The Barrett went dead again once the jumper cable was removed. The power locks was locking and unlocking by themselves could that have drain the battery?

No, that's probably the body control module freaking out due to low voltage.

Replace the battery, then let's go from there.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician