Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Truck won't turn over. 2012 chevy silverado 1500 LT 5.3L…

Customer Question
Truck won't turn over ...

Truck won't turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2012 chevy silverado 1500 LT 5.3L 4WD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Im not getting power to fuses now.. i think its my ecu/pcu/bcm

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

Yes. Breifly

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
3/7/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 1 month ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Which fuses do not have power?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fuel pump.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Several inside dash panel fuse box
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I disconnected the ECU/PCM/BCM and then reconnected it and lost ability to crank.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not getting power to my fuel rail or anything fuel related.

OK. Sorry for the delay, I am still with you here, let me research this a bit.

You checked for power at the injectors, and you don't have any power at the injector connector? One side of each injector connector should have B+.

Why did you disconnect the ECM and BCM?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No i haven't tested. I was just checking all connectors and grounds because the truck started acting real funny. Door locks would lock and unlock by there selves.
I would be driving down the highway and they truck would pop up a message saying, service truck 4x4 and start acting all kinds of bad, wouldnt shift, stall, abs light, brake light, stabilty light, traction control light and check engine light came on. Then truck is all out going crazy. I have no idea what is going on. Last time i actually drove it, i pulled over because it wasnt driving right, went back to get truck and it wouldnt start, replaced fuel pump, fuses and then it started running, but wasnt right, have replaced throttle body as well. Run isn't running, and it wont connect to my scan tool now. So its got to be ecu

There are a lot of different systems you're talking about, and each one has its own ECU. It seems more likely that this is a power or ground issue, or a communication issue between the modules at this point. Are battery cables tight and clean?

If you put a scan tool on it right now, and attempt to get engine trouble codes, does it say no communication?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Battery cables are good, it is a communication problem.. because something isnt allowing me to connect with tool and something isnt activiating anything to start the truck.

The ECM itself is responsible for energizing the relay that powers up many of the circuits for injectors, fuel pump, ignition, etc.

The ECM should be powering up if it has power and ground, if this were in my shop, I would be checking all power and ground inputs to the ECM, and if they're OK, I would isolate the ECM's communication circuit from all of the others, and see if I could get just that one computer to work. If not, then the ECM is bad. If it DOES work like that, it means a different ECU is likely bad, and killing the whole comm circuit.

This can be a daunting diagnosis, is this something you're determined to diagnose yourself? If it needs an ECU, it will require programming using dealer equipment, plus a factory scan tool will make this diagnosis faster and easier. I really recommend letting a pro handle this, someone that's really familiar with these systems, but you can do a lot of these checks yourself if you can read a schematic and use a multimeter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i can do this myself but not familiar with a whole lot of this. But can understand and catch on. Explain how i can go about this and solve this problem.

Let's start with power and ground to ECM. See the attached schematic. With key ON, you should have power at pins 19, 20, and 47 of the X1 connector. Ground on pin 73 of the X1 connector.

X1 is the 73 pin black connector. The pins are numbered, the numbers are very tiny and written on the back of the connector, but you can make them out to figure out which pin is which.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Doesnt seem to have power at the white and blaxk wirw.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I dont have anything to back probe the connector. But i did the best i could from front of connector. And had nothing

Black and white wire goes to ground. It should be grounded. Turn your test light around, put the alligator clip on battery positive, and probe this circuit, it should light up if the circuit is grounded.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Which colors are positive

The diagram above tells you: pink, red/white, and pink/black are pins 19, 20, and 47 respectively. 47 only gets power if the ECM is doing its job by closing the powertrain relay, at the top of the diagram, so I'm interested in seeing all three of those values.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can check from the front of the connector right?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By careful
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Being*

Yes, absolutely. From the side that connects to the PCM, that's the preferred method, so there's no wire or insulation damage.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do all the spots were fuses go supposed to be filled?

No, there will be empty sockets. You can check the diagram and determine whether a fuse should be there or not, usually based on the description, because they use that fuse box in more than one application.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you tell me which ones should be empty please.

I don't have that info. It depends on how your truck was built, it's fairly explanatory. For example, if there is a fuse slot labeled DIESEL you'd know that you don't have a diesel engine, and so you shouldn't expect a fuse to be there.

Don't get sidetracked, though, I thought we were checking power and ground to the ECM last time I checked.

Did you get this worked out?

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician