Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It is pulling P1349 and P0171. Prizm 2001. I am fixing

Customer Question
It is pulling P1349...

It is pulling P1349 and P0171

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

Prizm 2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prizm yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing myself.. I order a camshaft sensor ordered***

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

It pulled P1349 and P0171

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
3/6/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 1 month ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

P0171 is a lean exhaust code, typically due to a vacuum leak or air leak after the MAF sensor. There can be no air or vacuum leaks.

P1349 is relative to the variable camshaft timing system. A new cam sensor will NOT fix this trouble code. The code is set because the computer is commanding the camshaft to advance, and it is not responding. Most commonly this is due to either the camshaft solenoid, or the camshaft sprocket on the engine. There are ways of diagnosing this, but if I needed to take a guess at it, I would probably put a camshaft advance solenoid on the car, clear the code and see if it resets, as this is the cheapest and easiest component to replace for this trouble code. The cam advance is also very reliant on clean oil, if you have not changed the oil in awhile or if it's low, take care of the oil and filter.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need further help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Did you get this worked out?

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

You will also have an opportunity to add a tip to the payment if you wish, and that is greatly appreciated. I work very hard to make sure you're getting the very best information I can provide for you.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician