Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Temperature gauge not registering when motor is warm/hot…

Temperature gauge not registering...

Temperature gauge not registering when motor is warm/hot radiator fans working, radiator fluid pushed to reservoir (no fuel smell in reservoir), no heat to interior/heater-core, no visible leaks.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?

No leak

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2004 impala3.8L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes what I sent you is what I checked

3/6/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Is there any coolant in the engine? Have you removed the radiator cap at any point? (Do not remove the cap if the engine is hot.)

38; yes

OK, do you have a scan tool that will read data?

no

OK. The notion there would have been to see if the engine computer is reading the coolant temp, but the gauge isn't responding, or something like that. At this point, we don't know if it's a bad gauge, bad temp sensor, etc.

If there is no heat, I would investigate that as a symptom. Either the heater core is restricted/clogged up, or it is air bound. If it's air bound, it's likely that you have a head gasket failure, that's causing all of these problems. I like to use a chemical test for head gaskets, called a block check. It simply tests for the presence of combustion gases in the cooling system, if the fluid turns color, you have a head gasket issue. I would have this test performed or do it yourself, the tester kit is about $40 and comes with instructions for use.

All of your symptoms combined point to head gasket, even the coolant temp reading, since the sensor won't read if it's not submerged in coolant. If you have a big air pocket in your engine due to a head gasket failure, you'll get these funky readings and symptoms.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

When you say head gasket you are referring to the Intake Manifold or Plenum gasket then?

No, the cylinder head gasket is between the cylinder head and the engine block, on both sides. A considerable amount of work to replace. For the most part, you can't get combustion gases in your cooling system from anywhere other than a head gasket or cracked engine component in that area.

I see, so the cars computer should be detecting the cylinder compression loss then which I can have tested at Autozone for example, correct?

No. The amount of compression lost won't be counted as a misfire by the scan tool, it's unlikely that you'll have a trouble code that points to it, unless it's also ingesting coolant and causing the spark plug to foul.

The block check tool I mentioned before is the go to tool on this issue. The car's computer system likely won't report anything to do with the problems you're having.

Did you get this worked out?

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

You will also have an opportunity to add a tip to the payment if you wish, and that is greatly appreciated. I work very hard to make sure you're getting the very best information I can provide for you.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician