Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2015 suburban won't start after battery change. The old

2015 suburban won't start...

2015 suburban won't start after battery change

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

The old battery was dead (original) and only put in a new one. Everything turns on but wont crank

3/5/2018
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

Lets start with fuses, the battery fuse block is that black assembly on the battery. Did you boost to any of those?
IF they are good then it may actually be a starter. These trucks are known for issues with the starters. Do you have a test light? If so then it is best to test at the small stud at the starter when the key is in the start position. If there is no power there, then we need to start checking other places such as the starter relay, or the neutral safety switch. If there is power at that stud then you likely need a new starter if the battery and cables to the starter from the battery are good.

I do not have a test light

Ok, do you hear a click at the starter when someone else turns the key/

Also did you take any of those wires off the fuse block on the battery or just the main battery clamp?

It is a push button start but here nothing

Ok, do you have any messages in the cluster about starting?
Other than the absence of starting, does the start up sequence appear normal?
IF so then its likely that starter.

How many miles and what is your Vin? It MIGHT be covered under powertrain warranty, and I can check that for you.

Everything seems normal - it does say turn steering wheel and start again but it is locked. Vin is 1GNSKKKC8FR144686

Mileage?

101,000

OK, that is past any warranty, so we need to test that starter like I mentioned.

ok thanks

Is there more I can get you today?

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer 3-5 and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have. Again if you need further information, please use the Reply/Continue Conversation link to ask for more help and I would be happy to assist you further. You do not need to give a negative rating or relist the question to get more help :)

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician