Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 chevy trailblazer, it is running hot. we have…

I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 chevy trailblazer, it is running hot. we have replaced the thermostat, water pump, fan clutch and have now ordered a new radiator. The water is not circulating.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

The vehicle has about 279. it made a loud roaring noise when taking off right be fore the over heating issued started

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Trailblazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Thermostat, water pump, fan clutch and now about to try a new radiator. a friend is doing the work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/5/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Has the actual engine temperature been checked with a temp probe or laser sensor probe to see if it is actually over heating or if just the gauge is reading a false over heat issue?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the gauge shows hot and the water bubbles

Does this occur within seconds or a minute of starting the engine or how long before it starts to bubble and over heat?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it takes 10-15 minutes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we are thinking it has a blown head gasket now. But no water in the oil or smoke out the back.

O.k. I am leaning on a leaking cylinder head gasket as well.The head gasket can leak in several different ways from oil and coolant mixing internally or an external fluid leak but one of the most common leaks is an internal leak where only exhaust is leaking past the gasket into the cooling system.This won't show up as oil and coolant mixing or an external fluid leak.But it will super heat the coolant causing the bubbling and coolant flow issues as well as the over heat.

You can have what is called a " block test" done.Most shops or a dealer will have the tool to do this testing.It usually takes less than an hour to do.You can also purchase this tool to do it yourself and comes with easy to follow instructions.This will tell you if you have a head gasket leak needing replaced.Below in the link is the kit

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7001006

Basically, you pour in the blue fluid into the reservoir with the kit.Place the reservoir over the radiator fill and run the engine.If the blue fluid starts to bubble and turns green in color then there is a leaking head gasket issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we noticed the radiator has a split in it and the cap is bad. Gonna try to replace those 2 items next. Say a prayer for me!!! Thanks

Your welcome

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Pete, Auto Service Technician