Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Chevrolet avalanche and when I try to lock the…

I have a 2004 Chevrolet...
I have a 2004 Chevrolet avalanche and when I try to lock the doors the back ones won't lock. When I use the door locks on the drivers side door and use the thing on my keys
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/3/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

What is the engine trouble code that you keep getting?

I would suspect the door lock actuators on the rear doors, but I would definitely do some diagnostic work first before replacing anything. If you have a test light, I can help you with that.

I don't know if I seen any codes. The light comes on and that is all I've seen. Yes I have a test light, but I'm not at my house right now.

OK, we can continue on when you're near the truck. I'd be disassembling the door panel on the rear, and checking for voltage at the actuator when you hit the button. If it has voltage and ground to the actuator, the actuator is no good and needs to be replaced. It's not uncommon to have two actuators failed at the same time.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, I am happy to follow up with you.

I don't have a problem with you calling me. It's just I'm not around my truck right now, my husband has it for the day. So I don't think it would do much good right now. I'd love for you to call me when I am with it. How do I get back with you later? Just one more little question. Where is the actuator located in the door panels? What does it look like? I know nothing about vehicles. So you will have your work cut out for you. Sorry about that.

lol I am here to help. If you or your husband are game for some diagnostics, I can guide you through this.

We can talk on the phone when you're ready, will it be later today, or tomorrow?

I'm not sure. It could be later today. It could be after 5:00 pm. If its later than that, then I will try to get in touch with you tomorrow.

OK. I look forward to it. Just let me know when you're ready, and I'll try to be available to you.

:-)

Sounds good. I hope you have a great day. Talk to you soon. Bye for now

Did you get this worked out?

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know. I am happy to follow up with you.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician