Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Working on a 2002 Chevy Silverado. 4 Wheel Dr. 5.3 L engine.

Working on a 2002 Chevy...
Working on a 2002 Chevy Silverado.***** 5.3 L engine. 1500. Customer supplied us with a rebuilt transmission we installed it it’s seem to be working normal then third gear went out completely up the road. The transmission rebuilder tore it down and said the transmission overheated. We don’t believe that because the transmission fluid was clean and did not smell bad and we had flushed the cooler. We installed another transmission that the customer provided us and that the builder provided. This one is slipping between second and third also doesn’t seem to have overdrive when we press the tow button on the shift stick the overdrive on off light illuminates on the dash but nothing happens with torque converter. The previous transmission also had this same problem where the tow button did not seem to change the RPMs of the torque converter.Also when we put the vehicle into drive or third or second the little light on the dash doesn’t always indicate the exact gear that the transmission is in. I just want to be sure that we are not missing something or there something we can check because it seems like we have another bad transmission which I know is possible when it comes to rebuilt. It was not 100% remanufactured it looks like a small rebuild operation and a crappy blue paint job on the transmission. Please advise.
2/27/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

If the gear position isn't being indicated correctly, that might be a clue as to why it burned up. You want to make sure the PRNDL switch is adjusted correctly. The manual valve may be in between ranges, allowing fluid pressure to bypass and thereby burning the clutches. And a slipping clutch will overheat the transmission, so the builder is partly correct. It sounds like he's saying that you or the customer overheated it, but it overheated because it had slippage in it.

More in a moment....

The tow/haul button on the shifter doesn't affect TCC operation, nor does it affect OD directly. It changes the whole shift pattern and pressure table in the transmission, so it will still shift through all gears and TCC will still work, just on a different map in the computer.

If you flushed the cooler, then you did your job. If the current transmission is slipping going into 3rd, it's going to burn up the 3-4 clutches again. The overhauler is doing something wrong, he has leaking turbine shaft seals, a leaking piston, a leaking input housing, or something, but he definitely has an internal hydraulic leak that he needs to correct to make that 2-3 shift snappy.

OK well the gear position is not correct on this one either. Can you help us to inspect the gear position adjustment? How do we do this and what we look for? I wouldn’t want to burn up this transmission as well. Thank you

The gear position is a function of the black switch on the side of the transmission. It's adjustable, have you tried adjusting it to get the right indicator to light up on the dash?

No we have not . Is this switch also called the neutral safety switch? Some of the indications on the dash or not illuminated. For example reverse and neutral will show up properly but when we drop it into drive the drive indicator light disappears third and second seem to work but first gear doesn’t light up either. Perhaps the switch is bad?

It's possible, if everything lights up except for that, I'd be looking further into it. What does the scan tool indicate for gear position, does it say D4 or does it say "invalid"?

Pulling code P0751 shift solenoid a performance or stuck off. Under TFP switch section on the scan tool it recognizes every gear position properly and quickly. Under the setting TR switch When we put the vehicle in drive it takes about five or six seconds for the scan tool to recognize that it’s actually in Drive. Also does not show us any other gears other than Park reverse neutral and drive In this setting

If you have a P0751, I would definitely get after that solenoid, and get a good look at the wiring inside the transmission while you're there to make sure it's not accidentally chafed or touching ground.

You’re also saying the problem with the gear selector illumination could cause the transmission to burn up ?
it’s actually slipping going into second gear not third gear with that code P0751. Which shift solenoid is this there’s about 10 of them listed and Carquest would like to make sure the part is available before we tear into it.

Potentiallly. Not likely, but potentially, if the manual valve in the transmission is not lining up with the passages. This has more to do with shift cable adjustment and the internal linkage on the transmission, but it certainly shouldn't be ignored.

Transmission builder should be taking care of this solenoid issue for you, too. Part of the overhaul process is testing/replacing solenoids.

Agreed

.

Are you able to help me with the shift solenoid troubleshooting here or do I need to open up a new question?

I can help you with that.

You're still getting P0751 each time you drive it, if you clear it, it comes right back, is that right?

that’s right
We plan on opening up the pan and inspecting the wiring and if the wiring is good we would like to replace the solenoid we just need to know which one we need to replace and maybe even a part number because there appears to be like five of them available through CARQUEST. If we drop the pan for inspection we want to be in a position to replace it at the same time

Got it, give me a couple of minutes to get you a diagram.

367a in this diagram is the 1-2 shift solenoid you're looking for.

Is there anyway you can help me find the right part at Carquest or advance auto? There’s too many of them listed for me to find the right one

The shift solenoids A and B are the same. ATP is the manufacturer that Advance Auto Parts carries, and the part number is ***** Looks like it's about $45 retail, there is one available in my local distribution chain, and probably in yours as well.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

Replacing in am . I’ll be in touch

OK, thank you!

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician