Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 chevy astro van code p0303 and p0135 checked

2000 chevy astro van...

2000 chevy astro van code p0303 and p0135 checked distributor found a lot of play in the shaft of that and gear also had heavy wear problem still there after replacing it.compression test and fuel pressure test came up good suspected mfi replaced that no change wires and plugs are newer and just for a test replaced plug on cal 3 again still no change has good spark and fuel and compression

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Astro yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just sent you all of what was done so far

2/25/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Do you have a consistent misfire on cylinder 3? The engine is actually running badly, you can feel it at all times? Is the check engine light flashing when the van is running?

cyl 3 misfires at all times you can feel it studder at idle and when driving check engine light is not flashing

Do you have a scan tool that will read live data?

found maf was dirty had lots of debris on screen cleaned it made no diffrence at all

A MAF won't affect a single cylinder misfire. It's going to be spark, fuel, compression, or a vacuum leak. Sounds like you've knocked out the first three, the last one is the one I'm concerned with.

i sprayed around all over the intake area with carb and choke cleaner to see if idle picked up to check for vacume leak and i got nothing
comression was at 170 on that cylinder 3

The common failure for vacuum leaks on these is the intake gaskets themselves. They are made of plastic, and they break and leak from inside the engine. Very difficult to diagnose, but one thing you can try is to get the engine running, remove the PCV valve from the valve cover, and put your finger over the hole in the valve cover where the PCV valve was. See if there is a suction on that hole. If there is, the engine is drawing air in from inside the engine. It may be more subtle than you can feel, but if it's totally leaking, you will totally feel it sucking on your finger. There is also a vacuum line that connects on the #3 intake runner, that goes to the HVAC system. Take that vacuum line off and cap the nipple in the intake, and see if the idle smooths out. If so, then that vacuum hose is leaking somewhere. I've seen that a number of times, but it's usually when the customer says their HVAC doors don't work.

Try those two things and see if you get any results. If you can't find anything else wrong, I would remove the intake and just look at the gaskets. They usually break and actually sag, so you'll have lean cylinders in the middle, which means cylinder 3 and 4.

k checked vacuum line has goid vacuum no change in engine misfire still runs very rough checked valve cover where pcv valve goes and there is no suction at all

OK. It's not a definitive test, unless you felt vacuum, then you'd know you have a leak. It can be leaking just enough to lean out that cylinder.

You've put plug, injector, plug wire. You've verified spark at the plug (yes?). The only thing left is lean misfire due to an intake gasket. If this were in my shop, and I'd eliminated all the things you say you've eliminated, I'd be removing the intake to replace the gaskets.

By the way, this has nothing to do with P0135, which means the oxygen sensor heater isn't working, and typically means you need to replace oxygen sensor bank1 sensor1.

ok so you are thinking the lower intake gaskets are broken

That is what I suspect, yes.

ok cause yes as you asked i verified spark on that cyl and wires are newer and plug i replaced for long shot did comp test came up 170 all things point at all tests come up good and fuel pressure test good and replaced the mfi assy.and dist due to wear in the gear and over excessive play im the dist shaft

It has to be a lean misfire due to a vacuum leak.

ok i guess that is the next step hope that fixes it thank you

You're welcome. Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Good luck with it!

thank you

:-)

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, I am happy to follow up with you.

Did you get this worked out?

customer has to bring it back couldnt leave another day supposed to be setting up in a week

OK, good deal.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician