Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2010 2500hd with LMM. Exhaust lately smelling more…

Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a 2010 2500hd with LMM. Exhaust lately smelling more dieselly....almost like no dpf....

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

Today code threw P0101....went into limp mode, this was after a harder than normal acceleration.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Chevy?

I have 180,000 km now

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I scanned for the code and reset it, no code threw right away, air filter appears a little dirty...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is a Silverado...have never done a regen....

2/21/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

The truck should be telling you if you need to do a manual regeneration. If it's not, then you don't need to do anything different.

Air filter is a big hitter for P0101. So is the EGR system. If the EGR is stuck open or leaking internally, you'll have this problem. You can have no air leaks after the MAF sensor, so if you have a cracked hose or anything like that, it needs to be replaced. But air filter is definitely the place to start, the computer has a table it's referring to, and it expects MAF to be within a certain range on this table under varying conditions. P0101 sets when the MAF reading is something other than what it expects, and the things I mentioned above are all contributors to a inaccurate MAF reading.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Ok, thats a good start.....with 180,000 km, would a regen be expected to occur by that mileage? And how can I do a regen when that time comes? Thx.
I am at work now, so easier to send instructions via meassage, thx.

Regen warning will come up on the dash if it isn't working automatically. Typically you shouldn't even know that it's happening, it happens when you're on a highway drive and you shouldn't even be aware of it, if it's working correctly. If it's not working correctly, you'll get a warning on the dash about it, so let's not try to fix something that's not broken. :-)

Manual regeneration is something your mechanic will have to do, it's a scan tool function. But like I said, if you don't have a warning message or light on pointing in that direction, don't worry about regeneration. The computer must be happy with that system already.

Ok, so I should not worry too much about the change in the exhaust odor? Like I mentioned, it is smelling more like a regular old diesel truck lately, almost like the dpf is not doing its job any longer?? But no other codes being thrown, thankfully.

This probably has more to do with the quality of your fuel than anything wrong with your truck. Try changing brands/stations, and see if it still smells like an old diesel after another 500 miles or so.

If that engine system even hiccups, it will set a check engine light, so if there's no trouble light on, there is almost certainly nothing to worry about with the truck.