Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Gurgling sounds from the glove compartment after a short…

Gurgling sounds from the...

Gurgling sounds from the glove compartment after a short drive my vehicle is a Chevrolet Silverado 98 1500 5.7 V8, I'm assuming it's the heater core cause it's leaking like crazy or water pump or hoping it's not head gasket

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

It's antifreeze in the cab passenger side

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a mechanic lined up

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's my main question

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/20/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Gurgling from the heater core indicates trapped air in the cooling system and if the cooling system is loosing coolant than that can cause this noise . Have you had the cooling system pressure test to see where you're leaking the coolant from?

No I haven't :( It's my very first truck too I asked the local mechanic he said for me to get a new heater core, which I already reserved and picking up today.

Is the heater core leaking?

Yeah passenger side floor is covered and clearly see it dropping from the core cover

Okay then your mechanic is correct, that would explain the gurgling noise as well as the cooling system being low on coolant and creating the trapped air in the cooling system. If in fact it's leaking then replacing it should stop the leak as well as the noise your hearing.

Ok I will get a new heater core today and get my new fuel tank installed with stabilizer bar links installed thank god you guys are good at what you do love this site and thanks for confirming that as well.
Now I see why they call vehicles there baby

Yea, its mostly a guy thing. But you have to take good care of them as well just like a baby.

Will try my best thanks again Ron you're awesome

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hey Ron it asked me to come back for a follow up?

I posted my response on your new post, See it below.

Okay if its gurgling then that usually means that you still have air in the cooling system, what you can do now is let it cool down completely and then top of the coolant level. If you have not ran it today, remove your cap and see if you can add more coolant. The trapped air will tend to rise to the top on a cold engine. Check this and let me know what you find.

Ok I will try tomorrow thank you

Sure thing. I'm here tomorrow afternoon if needed.

Right on good to know.

I'm here if needed.