Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2003 chevy Tahoe, battery good, alternator good, starter…

2003 chevy Tahoe, battery...

2003 chevy Tahoe, battery good, alternator good, starter good, changed ignition switch, no power to ignition when key is turned. no lights on console, key fob wont unlock doors. Ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistant

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Self have recently replaced all those parts tested battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Could it be a fuse? or relay of somekind?

2/11/2018
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Your saying that there is no power anywhere on the vehicle? No brake lights dome lights or headlights?

No power getting to the ignition switch?

No there is not any light
I noticed the other day when I was using the key fob it took a few presses to unlock the door as Normal
I checked battery, starter is good, ignition switch has been changed out few months back.

Thank you for that information. YES, this could be a fuse, bad connection or a faulty ground. I would recommend to start by checking the battery voltage first, then move on down the line to the fuses under the hood and be sure they have power on them at all times. If the battery has 12 volts, the fuses under the hood should have 12 volts and so should the power supply going to the ignition switch. Let start by checking this first and we can adjust our testing as needed depending on what we find. Let me know!

battery has tested for 12v. What is proper way to test fuses
Which fuses should I check ?

You can use a test light or a volt meter the same way you checked the battery for power. You can leave the fuses in place and simple check for power on the fuse using the small metal prongs that are visable on the top side of the fuse. Check all of the main or maxi fuses.

Checking
Everything appears to be checking out normal on fuses

Excellent! Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

I’m good texting

I can send over a phone call offer for as little as $5 bucks for you. That way I can better assist you. Is that OK?

I am good. Do you not have anymore information?

I certainly do. Let check for power on the fuses and going into the ignition switch like I mentioned earlier.

I replaced the ignition switch a few months ago because I was having similar problem. Could there be something that causes the ignition switch to fail?

Most certainly. A faulty new ignition switch or a short in the wiring to or from the switch.

is that wiring harness difficult to replace?

Sure, if you replace the the entire thing, but if you have a short, just replace the section that is faulty, not the entire harness.

I am glad I can help! Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

will do. gonna take me awhile to replace the ignition switch again. ill be in touch if I have questions

Sounds good! Meanwhile, please dont forget to rate.

Have a great day!

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Amedee

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN