Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Suburban LTZ. It is making a intermittent

I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 Suburban LTZ. It is making a intermittent whining noise through the speakers. The whine changes with engine RPMs.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

142000 miles, automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm actually looking to purchase it, and am trying to figure out how big of a deal this is before I make an offer (or not). When I test drove the car, it wasn't making the noise. After we put some gas in, we noticed it for a couple of minutes. And then it went away again during the test drive.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is the only thing right now. I haven't used this service before. Just saw the chat window. What's the charge for a consult?

2/7/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described this sounds like the radio or sound amplifier has a poor ground.With a poor ground, you will get this noise that increases with rpm increase and decreases as rpm decreases.

You will have to have the grounds checked leading to the body from the battery as well as the frame and engine block.If these are o.k. the grounds for the radio and sound amp. will need to be checked.If all grounds are found to be o.k. this can be the sound amp itself needing to be replaced.In some cases, this can run around $300 to $400 to have replaced.But most of the time it will take a couple hours labor charge at the most to locate a faulty ground and correct it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician