Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My fob for my 1996 Chevy Tahoe alarm is broken and for some…

Customer Question
Hi my fob for...

Hi my fob for my 1996 Chevy Tahoe alarm is broken and for some reason the alarm sets itself after 1 minute so everytime I open the door I have to hold the button in under the dash and start the car. But it's very annoying because the alarm is going off after 1 minute if you try to open the door

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

I haven't replaced it in a little while but I did replace it last year. But it doesn't matter, the alarm is messed up and sets itself after 1 minute I don't want to have an alarm on this truck in fact I've already cut the wire to the speaker

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yeah I'm working on it myself. I want to disarm the alarm or put it in valet mode indefinitely

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

But really

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/6/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics replied 4 months ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics

Sorry for the delay.............
This does NOT sound like Factory Alarm, as the Factory Alarm does NOT have a Valet / ByPass Switch.
This is either Dealer Installed or Aftermarket Alarm.
The Button you are pushing is likely the "Valet Switch"
You need to post the Brand & Model Number of the Alarm
To set the Alarm to VALET, most Alarms have you turn the Ignition Switch to ON, then press & hold the Valet Switch for 5 seconds.
Release & turn Key OFF
Alarm should not function after that, unless the Battery goes low, or the Valet Button is pressed again
IF the above does NOT work, then you will need to post the Brand & Model Number

thanks

.

.
If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works,
You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping..
I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses..
Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issue is resolved..

Hi thanks for the answer. I was told it was Factory but I can take a look and see if I can find the alarm make and model. At one point in time I did have it sent to valet successfully but then a friend of mine borrowed it and when he returned it to me he set the alarm Diva though I told him not to. And then it just went back to the way it was arming itself every minute since then I have not been able to find the right combination to get it into valet again

Should be able to follow the wires on the Switch to the Alarm Main Unit
Typically the Brand & Model is on it.
GM Dealers installed Parts Alarm that had Switch also
Let me know what you find .

thanks

Okay I located it. It's a GM Goodwrench brand factory alarm

I tried the valet code you gave me and that did not it still sets itself after 1 minute. Is there anyway to just get rid of the alarm all together? It has been nothing but a thorn in my side. I'm almost a hundred percent sure the fob is just been beat up so much that it doesn't work anymore

That would likely be Dealer Installed........
You could follow each wire to it's connections.
Disconnect the Alarm wire from the Factory wire & tape (insulate) the open connections
Be careful to inspect each wire & Factory wire, as some of the GM Alarms had the installer cut the Starter or Ignition wire in half & connect the Alarm wires to the cut wires.
Look for "same color" Factory wires that are cut in half & connect those Factory wires back together.......
Otherwise you may want someone familiar with wiring complete the job
Should be less than 1 hour for removal
Check with Local Car Stereo / Alarm Shop to do this, as a regular Mechanics Shop may take longer

.

let me know if you need further

.

Sir I would love to have you paid, but I am not figuring out my issue here. PayPal says I was charged $24

sorry for the problem
What "issue" are you referring to??
Your last question was:
. Is there anyway to just get rid of the alarm all together?
I posted how to remove the Alarm
Did you need more info??
.

As far as charges, you need to contact Customer Service on your page, as we do not work for JustAnswer & have NO control over charges that you may have agreed to.

.

Okay yeah I did say that out of frustration of why this problem isn't being resolved but you told me that it's not a GM alarm if that factory reset didn't work. But it is in fact a GM alarm so the whole reason I contacted you guys was to get it into valet mode and then I'll just throw the fob away so I don't have to worry about that getting set off again and that is my question. I want it to go into valet mode. Maybe in passing talk with you I asked if there was a way just to get rid of it but obviously f'ing with the ignition is not going to be up my skill set, Or I wouldn't be talking to the internet on how to fix something. So that is my issue sir. It sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. As it is in fact a GM alarm. And the answer you gave wether informed or uninformed did not work. And I think these questions that you pay for are based off your experience with the expert and if the experts answers were correct. Am I correct? Because now I've paid 25 but for nothing. And waiting hours for resposes to my Inquiry

Lets start over.........
a) I am GM Mobile Electronics Repair / Warranty for over 30 years.
b) I can only answer from what you post, weather in "passing" or stated question
c) As I posted prior, this is NOT a Factory Installed GM Alarm, it is GM DEALER Installed from Parts Department......GM has NEVER installed Factory Alarms with Valet Switch.
Just because it has a GM printing or logo does NOT mean it is Factory Installed.
d) I posted to follow the Valet Switch wires to the Main Unit and that the "Brand & Model Number" should be on it
You did NOT post any info about that
e) I cannot see or touch your vehicle, that is why I depend on you to post as much info as you can.

I have NO idea what you paid & if you have issue with payment, contact Customer Service on your page.
As far as time, I answer when I see them, as I am NOT on 24 / 7

Since you feel I am not experienced then I will OPT OUT & RELIST, as I answered your questions & supplied you with info you did NOT know
My answer was correct & to the point
Good Luck