Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Need a GM Master mechanic for this one(I think). I have a…

Customer Question
Need a GM Master mechanic...
Need a GM Master mechanic for this one(I think). I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado 3500hd Duramax with one alternator(150A), and I either need to add a secondary alternator or to upgrade the current factory one to a H/O alternator. The additional current requirement is 70-130amps. The additional component that is needing the extra juice is a 12v to 48v step up Lithium battery charger. Then after determining the best (or most feasible) way to upgrade I will need to know the procedure along with any other components that will be needed.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/6/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 2 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hello, my name is***** to just Answer! I will be assisting you with your vehicle questions today. I am a GM Master Technician. Please give me a little time to review your question and I will be back with your answer and the information you require. Thanks

Could I have your VIN please

1GC4K0EY7HF145085

According to my parts department the second (aux) alternator can be purchased and added. There are brackets and bolts, different size belt cables etc in order to install. The aux alternator part # is 84143543 and is a 220 Amp alternator. This will more than exceed what you need but will be a significant amount of work. Due to the number of things that would be needed I suggest going to your Local Chevrolet dealer parts department and explain what you want to do so they can give you a complete list of parts needed and cost

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider me 5 STAR!! as this will not close out your question and we can continue to work on your question if need be. Thanks

Hi, I have decided to swap out the factory alternator for a high output one rather than messing with adding a second. can you send me the idle rating for the factory one with the part number 32487089, the high rating should be 150a i believe.

If you can give me a little time, maybe even a day, I would be more than happy to get that information for you. Thanks

This is what i have for you...at idle the amp output will vary depending on what accessories you have on...heat/Ac....blower, wipers, radio etc and should be somewhere between 20 and 50 amps....the more voltage you use the higher the alternator output will be so it's hard to put an exact number on that....The 220 amp upgrade alternator that will bolt right in to where your 150 amp alt is...is GM part #84143541.

I hope that i have sufficiently provided you with all the information that you needed and would consider rating me 5 STAR!! for my assistance and the information that i have provided you. Thanks

Seems you let your questions time out

ok, almost done. so if i get that part i should be able to do it and there will be no need for a tech to program, correct? Also, If i went with an aftermarket higher output and the case, pulley, etc matched would be the same scenario?
you can do it yourself. No programming will be needed. And yes an aftermarket will work just fine as long as everything matches up

Please don't forget to rate me 5 STAR here at just answer. Rating is how i receive credit for my assistance and the information i have provided you. Thanks

Todd Audette
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician