Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 Tahoe. Was going 60mph and about to pass when it

2005 Tahoe. Was going...

2005 Tahoe. Was going 60mph and about to pass when it downshifted but at last second I aborted the pass and let off the gas. Transmission will now not shift above 2nd. Fluid is normal color, no check engine light, and reverse works

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

No engine light

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Nothing yet, just limped it home and researching

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Research is suggestion shift solenoids 167,000 miles

1/23/2018
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hello, my name is***** to just answer! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today.

Thanks Todd. From what I have been reading, it could either be the shift solenoids or the 3-4 clutch packs. What are yout thoughts

Does it move if you put it in the normal range (D)

1,2,D,N,R work. 3 doesn't. If I try to accelerate above 40 the engine revs but vehicle is slow to move. Feels like it is slipping a little
I have a bad gut feeling its the clutch pack.....

I'm sorry you are having this problem and I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but being completely familiar with this transmission, it is the 3 -4 clutch that has failed and the transmission will have to be overhauled or replacement is another option.

That's what I figured as well. I will make arrangements for repair. Thank you for your time and have a good night.

Please don't forget to rate me 5 Stars for answering your question and i will be available for further follow up questions you may have

Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician