Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

REPLACED A DAMAGED TDM (THEFT DETERRENT MODULE) IN MY 99…

REPLACED A DAMAGED TDM...

REPLACED A DAMAGED TDM (THEFT DETERRENT MODULE) IN MY 99 CHEVY TAHOE AND NOW MY SECURITY LIGHT IS ON SOLID. RELEARN PROCEDURE NOT WORKING, ALSO SCANNER SHOWING NO COMMUNICATION. THEFT MODULE IS USED FROM ANOTHER TAHOE

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

SOLID, RESET NOT WORKING

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

MY FIRST TEXT EXPLAINS IT ALL

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

ACTUALLY DO I NEED TO REFLASH MY VEHICLE COMPUTER TO GET MY COMPUTER TO COMMUNICATE PROPERLY

1/23/2018
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Try doing these steps to get the tdm to be relearned. Make sure to clear all the codes from all modules before you do the relearn.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
IVE PERFORMED THIS PROCEDURE NUMEROUS TIMES TODAY, LIGHT NEVER FLASHED JUST STAYED SOLID, THE THEFT MODULE CAME OUT OF ANOTHER TAHOE JUST LIKE MINES WITH MATCHING PART NUMBER PN 16264955 CDLA. EVEN DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY FOR OVER AN HOUR WITH NO LUCK. I ACTUALLY GOT MY HANDS ON 2 DIFFERENT THEFT MODULES WITH SAME PART NUMBERS.

If you read the directions, when you replace the tcm, the theft light will only flash a couple of times then stay on solid.

MY LIGHT NEVER TURNED OFF OR FLASHED EVEN FOR A SECOND, I COMPLETED THE PROCEDURE TO A TEE PASS LOCK NEVER RESET,SECURITY LIGHT STILL ON

Then you will have to get a new tdm. Your system will not accept a used one.

WILL A REFURBISHED ONE WORK BECAUSE THIS TYPE OF SECURITY COMPONENT NO LONGER AVAILABLE I'VE BEEN TOLD. CAN THE MODULE I HAVE NOW BE PROGRAMMED TO MY VEHICLE COMPUTER SO THAT COMMUNICATION CAN BE ESTABLISHED BETWEEN THEM?

Yes a refurbished one will be wiped clean and will work. Reprogramming the pcm will not help any as the problem is the programming in the tdm itself.

MAKES SENSE, LET ME ASK YOU THIS, WHAT IF I PLUG IN THE PCM OF THE TRUCK I REMOVED THE TCM FROM INTO MY TRUCK, COULD THAT WORK OR AM I BEING RIDICULOUS

That would not work, as the ip cluster would not read.

OK THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND KNOWLEDGE

You are very welcome.