Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My crankshaft position sensor keeps failing. I have replaced…

My crankshaft position sensor...

My crankshaft position sensor keeps failing. I have replaced it 4 times now, and just recently replaced the wiring to it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

Yes- I'm towing a 15k pound fifth wheel- 9 hrs into the trip and it just did it again- my rpm start spiking and falling the truck will die for a few secs, then I either coast in neutral and restart it or it will work again on its own-

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

01 6.6 silverado 3500 4.4 LT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i'm doing the work myself- I have replaced crankshaft position sensor multiple times and it fixes it, but then the problem comes back.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not sure- i guess not

1/21/2018
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online.

Are the replacements all Gm sensors?

When you replace the sensor, have you checked for a loose reluctor wheel inside the hole? this reluctor is a toothed wheel that the sensor reads. On these early engines they are prone to coming loose or shearing off. IS this the case on yours?

I used ACDELCO(###) ###-####for sensor acdelco for wiring plug as well.honestly, I have no idea about the reluctor wheel- I've heard about them failing- How would I even go about checking this out- where is the wheel located and if it is loose, why does the truck work for hundreds of miles and then spit up again, until I replace the sensor?

The sensor is down on the right front of the engine. You can access it through the wheel well. The Cam sensor is close by, but you will know which is which because the crank sensor goes into the side of the front cover where the cam sensor is higher up and goes in through the front.
The reluctor you can check with a blunt tool, remove the sensor and use the tool to try and move the teeth back and forth. If it moves, then we have the problem.
As for the sensor, if the reluctor is moving and the wheel happens to contact the sensor, it can damage it and cause this issue.
The other thing is if a wiring problem exists near the sensor and replacing the sensor corrects the issue for a time.

I've already changed the camshaft sensor as well. I'll tear into this piece of crap for the 10th time and check that wheel- if its loose I imagine it's not going to be cheap to fix. Just to be sure, the reluctor wheel should NOT spin or move no matter what right?

Correct. The reluctor is hard mounted to the back to the back of the timing gear.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician