Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Well we went to turn on the defrost and it made a weird

Customer Question

Well we went to turn on the defrost and it made a weird noise and smelt burning. Turns out the heat coating material on the egr was burning and now the defrost won’t work, and if I put the heat on any other setting it works fine
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: It was low last week so i topped it up
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2005 equnox
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well depends on what the issue is and as of now nothing but would a faulty egr cause defrost problems
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

The HVAC system and EGR system are 2 different concerns. What sound did the defrost usage make and was the air flow actually coming out of the defrost or elsewhere?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There was air coming out and it was like almost a squeel and all the lights would dim and rpm woud drop. But if i took it off defrost and went to feet or upper vents it will work fine

When using defrost, the AC turns on because you need dehumidified air on the glass to remove the fog inside. I believe your rpm and noise concerns are due to a AC compressor concern. Unplug the AC compressor and try defrost again to see if that concern is now resolved.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris