Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

On an uphill incline, the transmission will shift down to a…

On an uphill incline...

On an uphill incline, the transmission will shift down to a lower gear and than start shifting hard till I stop turn off the engine, wait for about 5 seconds than restart the car. During the time the transmission shifts hard the engine will run rough.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

It is a 2006 Chevy HHR LT automatic with A/C

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your HHR yourself? What have you tried so far?

I hope it is something I can repair. I am not a mechanic but I have some skills. I have not tried anything so far. There is some leakage but I cant tell if it is transmission fluid. It is redish in color.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am suspecting it may be transmission censors. I understand the censors are easy to replace but hard to get to.

1/20/2018
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hi my name is*****'m an A.S.E Certified Master Technician with 30 + yrs GM experience. I'm reviewing your question and would be happy to assist you

Is the check engine light illuminated?

It has recently started coming on in the cold mornings but will go away after the car has run for a while
Im sorry I cant afford more costs. I understood that I can chat till I get an answer. As I explained in an earlier message I an not interested in any additional costs.

That's fine and it's not me pushing additional costs...it's the site...ignore any pop ups

OK

The check engine light may be an indication of what the fault may be.....so the first thing that needs to be done is the vehicle needs to be scanned for codes because i'm sure there is one or more set if the light illuminates

Are you still there?

Yes..i'm here

You could go to your local auto parts store...Napa...Autozone etc....and they will scan it for free....write down any trouble codes they retrieve and let me know what they are

I tried that. They were not able to diagnose it because the check engine light wasnt on while I was there.

That doesn't make any sense....even if the light is off....if it came on and off a code has set....If they aren't willing to scan it for you because the light isn't on while you are there i recommend finding somewhere else that will

Whats with the negative rating

Sorry, I thought you were done with me. Can I tell you any more? Can you tell me what the problem is with a diagnoses code? I will have to try finding another auto parts store tomorrow

Yes i can...that is what i will need in order to help you

OK I will go out tomorrow and get a code from an auto parts store. Thanks

Just out of curiosity what gave you the impression i was done with you

I waited for a while and didnt here from you. I understand that if we were to communicate by phone it is better however it appered that that was and additional cost and the cost of communicating was escalating in leaps and bounds. This concerned me and since this site now has my visa information I am afraid that they may start charging my card at will and I dont know how to prevent that. Sorry if I offended you.

It's ok....don't accept any phone requests...no need for that....But keep in mind that rating 3-5 stars releases a portion of the money that you have already been charged to me for assisting you...which i will do until i can give you a concrete answer based on codes...negative rating means you will still be charged but i won't get paid...and keep in mind there is a little bit of internet lag time so please be patient

Thanks for that explanation. I understand you wont be able to help me till I get the codes from an auto part store. I will go out tomorrow and try to get that. I guess I can reach you tomorrow through this site? I hope I can if I get on this site however I dont know if I can reach you.

Just respond here and i will get a notification

OK thanks, ***** ***** hear from me tomorrow.

Ok

Were you able to get it scanned today?

Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician
I was able to take the car to Autozone. The error Codes Read:
P0700 Transmission Control Module (TCM) Requested MIL. Illumination
P0742 Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) System-Stuck On
P0842 Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Switch Circuit Low Voltage

Thanks for changing your rating i appreciate it....and thanks for getting me that information...disregard the P0700 and the P0842 they are results of the P0742 which is the fault...You either have a bad TCC solenoid inside of the transmission or a chafed wire....one area to look for a chafed wire on this engine is the harness that runs close to where the oil filter is....a rubbed through wire that moves and touches metal during certain driving conditions can set this code and the symptoms you have with your vehicle

OK. This sounds good. If it is the TCC can I do the work or do I have to have a transmission shop do it? I understand that I have a closed seal transmission or forever transmission (ha ha) If so what would be the approx cost? If I go online I can probably fin a vidio on how to replace or repair the TCC. If its a chafed wire Im sure I can repair it myself.

The chafed wire you could do yourself....the solenoid replacement is quite a significant amount of work and i recommend a professional repair facility to do it....cost depends on there hourly rate. This is an 8-9 hr repair if the solenoid needs to be replaced....i would be looking for a wiring issue first

Great. Thank you for your help. I hope to talk to you soon.

Let me know how you make out...talk to you soon

Todd Audette
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician