Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 With a 5.3L. It has a…

I have a 2008 Chevrolet...
I have a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 With a 5.3L. It has a ticking under the passenger side valve cover and a loss in power. I have several engine codes as I will list them. And also not sure If the problems Are related but the transmission doesn't seem to shift out of 2nd Or when it does it's a real hard jerking shift. Here the codes that I have Listed in the order that I got them.
PO300, CO896, PO724, PO121, PO300, PO449, Need help to start diagnosing and fixing what is wrong without throwing a bunch of parts at it.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2018
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

Did you still need help with this issue?

It sounds like you have a number of problems going on, but the most detrimental to the way it runs would be a collapsed lifter. This is really common on this engine.

I still need help. And yes I have several problems. And they all started about the same time. Is why i thought they might be related. Where do I start to determine the problems

I'm sorry, I had already called it a night by the time your response came through.

On the trouble codes you listed there was p0300 twice. Is it possible that one of those p0300 codes was a p0301, p0304, p0302... etc?

No. It gave the po300 and po121 code twice

Ok. So it's not giving us any clues as to which cylinder might have the stuck lifter. In that case you will need to remove the valve cover on the side of the engine where you an hear the ticking noise and then crank the engine while watching to see which rockers look like they are moving normally and which are moving very little or none at all.

Also, are you seeing a "reduced engine power" message on the dash?

No haven't had that message come up

You might try pulling the fuse box and checking for corrosion or rodent damage to the wiring.

The fuse box had two gray lock bar/pull handles on the sides. Unlock those handles and you should be able to pull the whole box up and out. Look at all of the connectors and pins underneath and see if there are burnt marks, corrosion, etc. Also check for wire damage.

If there was a problem there. Would there be any chance it could fix the tick under valve cover?

No, the tick under the valve cover is almost definitely a lifter issue. We see that all of the time on these engines.

What does it usually involve to repair?

You have to remove the head and then remove and replace the lifter cassette (they come in a plastic housing holding both lifters called a cassette). There are companies that make a kit that eliminates the DOD (displacement on demand) system so the lifters don't turn on and off anymore causing this problem to occur. You lose the fuel economy, but no more lifter issues.

Cost for parts? And what's time it takes usually to do it

8 hours per head or 12.8 hours for both heads.

A lifter set can run anywhere from $50 each to $7 each depending on the brand.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

* Please take time to rate my response- as an expert I don't work directly for Just Answer- any resources I provide to you are furnished at my own personal expense. I only receive compensation based on positive ratings from you. Therefore, I cannot offer my time, insights, advice, diagrams, etc, without that positive rating. If you are unable to positively rate my response please let me know. After rating I will still be available for follow-up questions at no additional charge.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician