Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 4WD 6.0. I have an…

I have a 2006 Chevrolet...
I have a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 4WD 6.0. I have an issue with the 4WD system, it wouldn't shift into 4WD, had it diagnosed and they said it was the shift actuator on the transfer case, I changed the actuator and still have nothing. The light on the 4WD switch don't light up. I checked the fuses and both of the ones that go to the 4WD system are good.
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2018
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online.

Do you get any warnings on the dash such as SERVICE 4WD?

Does it sound like the transfer case is trying to shift but then returns to 2wd?

I do have a SERVICE 4WD warning. It doesn't sound like it's doing anything. The indicator lights on the 4WD switch don't light up.

4 button switch?

4 button switch. I just checked the pink wire on the back of the switch, it should have power with the key on and it does not.

Have you checked the switch? These were bad for the solder joints on the circuit board of the switch cracking and causing issues just like this.

I can change the switch with another one and see. I'll do that real quick and let you know.
I just changed the switch with another one that I know is good and still nothing. When you turn the key on all of the indicator lights come on for a couple seconds and then they all go off except the one for the position that you are in.

Any bad fuses?

Corrosion at the 4wd module under the dash? ITs just above the data plug.

What about the no power to the pink wire at the back of the switch? Shouldn't it have power when the key is on?

that is why you need to check the fuses in the underhood fuse block, also check under the fuse block for "guests", the mice love the pink wires.

But there aren't any fuses in the under hood fuse box that go to the 4WD system. I just noticed that I also have a SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM warning. Could that have anything to do with this or does that lead you in a different connection?

Ground on the frame under the drivers door?
Ignition switch? Pop the tilt lever out and take the lower trim of the column off. With your multimeter set to DC volts, place the red lead on the red wire. With the switch turned on, test the other leads with the black wire. Record the reading and let me know what those are. Repeat the test on the red/white wire. Let me know the results.

Are you wanting me to test the voltage between the wire and ground or between the red wire and each of the other wire on the switch?

between each and the red, not to ground. In this test we are seeing what voltage is lost over the connection so a 0 reading means no voltage and high voltage is lots being lost due to a bad connection.

Everything is 0 to .015 volts.

Ok, so that is ok, no the pink wire in that switch does not get power, its a ground signal.

Our next step is to get the code from the system. Without that we are guessing. Yes the switch and the encoder are common issues, but codes will narrow it down.

OK, I don't know if my scanner will get the codes we need. I have a few other things to do for a couple of hours and I will check the codes.

Sounds good.

I don't see the 4WD module just above the data plug. The data plug is just below the fuse box. There is a module behind the data plug.
I found the 4WD module and swapped it out with another one with the same part number. Now that it is plugged in all of the lights are working but it says it is in neutral mode and I cannot change it to another mode.

Is it actually in N? Does it drive or is it locked in park?

The transfer case is in neutral and the red light is on. It's up on a hoist and the tires won't turn. I tried the procedure to shift it back to 2WD and the indicator light just flashes for a few seconds and stops and stays in neutral.

OK, transmission in neutral, parking brake on with the key on, engine off, shift to 2wd then.

That's how I did it and nothing. I don't hear the shift motor making any noises.
I think I'm going home. I think the re-man encoder motor was in the neutral position out of the box and I aligned the t-case shaft to match and that's why it was in neutral. I took the motor back off and tried to position it to match the t-case in a different position but the motor won't move by putting 12V to the black and red wire, either direction. Have you seen many of these GM re-man motor that are bad out of the box?
Gm reman, not often but it’s possible. Try clearing the codes before going too far. And sorry for the delay, also a volunteer fire-medic, and got a call.
Shouldn't I be able to put power to the black and red wires and be able to index the motor?
The old motor turns, but reeeaaalll slow.
The new one doesn't turn at all.

No, simply powering it up will not work, it also has a magnetic brake.

What you can do is remove the housing cover and remove the gear, index it from there and assemble/install.

Very good to know. I will hit it again tomorrow.
Thank you so much.

My pleasure.

I took out the re-man and put in a new GM unit. After installation and turn on the key the 4WD indicator shows neutral (the red light). Tried the neutral to 2WD procedure: transmission in neutral, parking brake on with the key on, engine off, shift to 2wd then.
Is it only the two fuses for the 4WD operation? the "4WD" 15A fuse and the "SEO ACCY" 10A fuse in the I/P fuse box

Yes, only the 2.
Question, what was the transfer case fluid like?

After trying to shift it from neutral to anything it is now showing 4WD LO but is in neutral, when I start the truck and put the transmission in gear it sounds like the t-case is in between gears and has a gear grinding noise.
This truck drove into the shop in 2WD.
The only code was TRANSFER CASE SHIFT MOTOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION
I cleared it and nothing changed.
You have any DYNAMITE?

Whats the code number?

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
after a little thought and changing alot of parts. I decided to just disconnect the battery for a few minutes, I reconnected it, turned on the key, the light was still showing 4LO, I pushed the 4HI button and it shifted. After that everything was working fine. What in the HELL was that all about. I still don't know exactly what the issue was but it is working now. Have you seen anything like that?
Thanks for sticking with me on this one.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician