Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have condensation building up in my throttlebody air

I have condensation building...

I have condensation building up in my throttlebody air intake box.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?

I have a 2007 trailblazer with the vortex 4.2 straight 6 motor. My problem is water building up inside the throttlebody air intake box. This has happened twice in the last 2 months.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Trailblazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

My mechanic has given me a bulletin code TSB PIP4573B but I dont know where to view it. We have dumped out 3-4 ounces of water each time this happened. We are baffled by this. Its causing a throttlebody code to be thrown.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, what corrective measures to take?

1/18/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, below is the service bulletin. This only applies if the outside temperature is minus 10 degrees or colder. If that does not apply in your case, it is not relevant. In that case, the intake manifold needs to be removed and pressure checked for leaks due to hairline cracks

PIP4573B: Diagnostic Tips For SES Light With DTCs P1516 P2101 P2119 And/Or P2176 When Colder Than - 10F (- 23C) - (Apr 15, 2015)

Curtis Hibbs

07/13/2015 | 12:26:43

ALLDATA Diagnostic Bulletin

RELATED VEHICLES:

2004-2007 Buick Rainier

2002-2009 Chevrolet Trail Blazer

2004-2012 Chevrolet Colorado

2004-2012 GMC Canyon

2002-2009 GMC Envoy

2006-2012 Hummer H3

2005-2009 Saab 97x

with 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.5L, 3.7L, and 4.2L Inline Engines (RPO Codes LK5, LLV, L52, LLR, LL8)

SUMMARY: A Technician may encounter a concern of an SES light and reduced engine power after cold starting their engine when the ambient temperature is approximately - 10F (-23C).

Upon inspection, any of the following DTCs may be found: P1516, P2101, P2119, and/or P2176

In some instances, an oil leak may also be experienced from the front or rear crank seal, cam cover gasket, or dipstick tube as well.

This may be the result of excessive water/condensation in the crankcase and a frozen PCV system. If this concern is experienced, determine if the concern is the result of a frozen PCV system.

RELATED TSB: IMPORTANT: Always refer to the most current version TSB for details.

PIP5094: Prior To Any Circuit Testing - (Feb 13, 2013)

2014 and prior GM cars and light duty trucks

When testing any circuit for open or continuity/ resistance, it is imperative that all related terminal pin fit and tension be checked when the test steps require disconnection of the connector or component, prior to any component replacement. Always use the recommended terminal test tool during these tests.

PROBABLE CAUSES:

PCV System Hose/Line Restricted or Blocked

Excessive Moisture in the Engine Crankcase

Battery Malfunction

RELATED COMMUNITY CASES:

Vehicle has no power and check engine light is on

No throttle response - Intermittent

Starts but does not accelerate

DIAGNOSIS:

NOTE: Excessive short trip driving can induce or aggravate this condition. A good practice in low ambient temperatures would be to allow the engine to reach operating temperature to reduce condensation in the crankcase.

For 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.5L, and 3.7L Engines.

1. Disconnect the PCV vacuum pipe that is attached to the rear of cam cover and inspect the inside of it for ice, moisture, and/or sludge.

2. Do not try to disconnect the PCV vacuum pipe from the intake manifold because the pipe is molded to the intake manifold and intake manifold damage will occur.

3. Also inspect the engine oil dipstick and engine oil fill cap for moisture, sludge, and/or ice.

For 4.2L Engines.

1. Carefully disconnect the top or the bottom of the rubber PCV vacuum hose that is between the #3 and #4 intake runners and inspect for ice.

2. Use caution when disconnecting this hose if you just pulled the truck in from the cold because it may break if too much force is applied when it is very cold.

4. If there is moisture, ice, and/or sludge in/on the oil fill cap, oil dipstick, and/or PCV vacuum tube, this is most likely the result of a frozen PCV system and the suggestions below should be followed.

1. Clean any ice / sludge / water out of the PCV pipes / hoses and throttle body, and allow them to dry. If the throttle body is cleaned on a 2008 or newer Envoy, Trail Blazer, or 97x, also perform an idle learn reset with the Tech 2.

2. Determine when the thermostat is opening by feeling the upper radiator hose and watching the ECT parameter on the Tech 2 with the engine at idle. You will know when it opens because the upper radiator hose will get hot once the ECT sensor reaches 180F (82C) - 200F (93C). If the hose heats up slowly when it reaches this temperature range, replace the thermostat. Also replace the thermostat if it opens at the bottom of this temperature range. This is recommended because a thermostat that opens very slowly at the low side of this temperature range may be more likely to experience this concern than one that opens very quickly or at the high side of this temperature range.

3. Allow the engine to idle at operating temperature for at least 15 minutes, turn the engine off, and perform an oil and filter change. Allow the oil to drain for at least 15 minutes to remove all oil and condensation / water from the crankcase. Advise the customer to change their oil right before winter starts in order to prepare for the colder weather and to start changing it more frequently during the winter months.

4. Test the battery and replace it if it fails the test or if marginal test results are obtained. A weak battery may affect throttle plate operation when cold.

5. Check compression and cylinder leakdown as excessive blow by can contribute to moisture buildup in the crankcase and PCV system. If compression/leakdown is found to be excessive, identify root cause and repair / replace as needed.

6. Repair any oil leaks that were induced as a result of the frozen PCV system and excessive crankcase pressure.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate pop up rating page. Thank you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager