Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2003 Chevy Avalanche changed all the brake lines to the ABS…

2003 Chevy Avalanche changed all...
2003 Chevy Avalanche changed all the brake lines to the ABS box and can't get any fluid through the lines brake pedals very hard. Used a Genisys scan tool to automatically bleed the brakes with no results what could it be everything went fine before the lines were replaced
1/17/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Did you label the abs unit before removing the lines to ensure you have them reinstalled correctly

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did 1 at a time. Then went on line and got a diagram

Ok, just wanted to make sure.

Ok, if you crack the 2 bot***** *****nes at the abs unit, do you get fluid flow from them so that we know the master cylinder is fine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it runs out both of them. I even used a vacuum bleeder and the vacuum stays at 30 and doesn't drop or get any fluid
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had my friend hold brake pedal down and I loosen the master lines and pedal went to floor aldo8
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also*

HI,

Ok, so nothing coming thru the ABS unit even with the vacuum bleeder or scan tool.

Have you tried unplugging the abs unit, crank the engine and then vacuum bleed it? If not, try this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took it out once to take the fitting out of it. So I unplugged it them. I'm not at garage now but I'm sure that out of the 5 lines the front drivers side brake works and has fluid coming out when I bleed it. But just that one
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
before I used the scan tool my pedal went all the way to floor

Ok, when you get to the garage, try the following

put on lift and crank engine and put in gear. accelerate to about 25mph and repeatedly slam on the brakes. Repeat 10 to 20 times and then put in park and with engine idling, try to bleed at the wheels.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I'll try that. Thanks

you are welcome

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did what u said and still nothing

I am at a loss on this one. The only thing I see is a possibilty that the abs unit failed for some reason when you attempted to bleed it with the scan tool.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do no that the owner said he had the and unit fues taking out for 4 years cause he didn't like and. Would this cause a fail. ? Only line I get fluid from if front drivers said. When bleed pedal dies to floor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I put the 60 amp dues back in
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I use the tool are all the bleeder suppose to be open?

HI,

I hate saying it but his reason doesnt make much sense. The only time I know of people removing the fuse is when there is an issue with the ABS system, usually because it is locking up.

Below is scan bleed procedure

1. Install a scan tool to the vehicle.
2. Start the engine and allow the engine to idle.
3. Depress the brake pedal firmly and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.
4. Using the scan tool, begin the automated bleed procedure.
5. Follow the instructions on the scan tool to complete the automated bleed procedure. Release the brake pedal between each test sequence.
6. Turn the ignition OFF.
7. Remove the scan tool from the vehicle.
8. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the maximum-fill level with Delco Supreme II GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667) or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from-a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
9. Bleed the hydraulic brake system.
10. With the ignition OFF, apply the brakes 3-5 times, or until the brake pedal becomes firm, in order to deplete the brake booster power reserve.
11. Slowly depress and release the brake pedal. Observe the feel of the brake pedal.
12. If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the automated bleeding procedure. If the brake pedal still feels spongy after repeating the automated bleeding procedure inspect the brake system for external leaks.
13. Turn the ignition key ON, with the engine OFF; check to see if the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated.
14. If the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated, DO NOT allow the vehicle to be driven until it is diagnosed and repaired. Refer to Symptoms - Hydraulic Brakes.
15. Drive the vehicle to exceed 13 kpa (8 mph) to allow ABS initialization to occur. Observe brake pedal feel.
16. If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the automated bleeding procedure until a firm brake pedal is obtained.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I give up. That didn't work either. Still a hard pedal..im loss on this also

The ABS unit has to be bad and was bad before you started and when you tried using the scan tool, it must have locked up the solenoids in it. I just dont see any other cause

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate pop up rating page. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll rate you good later. When I'm away from this stupid vehicle. Thanks

you are welcome and no problem

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager