Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevy express 3500 6.5 turbo diesel, turn on key and "wait…

Chevy express 3500 6.5 turbo...
Chevy express 3500 6.5 turbo diesel, turn on key and "wait to start" is illuminated. It goes out then flashes slowly on and ofd for 15 sec. or so. Is this flashing normal or a sign of a problem?
Thanks in advance!
1/17/2018
Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

This is normal operation. The glow plugs stay "on" till they are warm and you are supposed to start it when the light goes off. If you dont the PCM keeps them warm by running short cycles on them till it decides you arent ready to start it yet and gives up till you cycle the key again.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ah, im new to this diesel, thought i was supposed to wait until it went out completely so ive been waiting til the flashing stopped. Having hard time starting it lately, actually havent been able to start it for a week. Cant find block heater plug in either so Ive been dead in the water, and wearing out my battery charger, lol

Make sure you glow plug relay is working. Just buy a spare and try it ... if it makes no difference throw it in the glovebox for when it does go bad,

And get a block heater on there or even get one of the dipstick ones... something.

Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gotcha! Thanks for the help!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey, can you tell me where is location of glow plug relay please?

Sure. Sorry for the delay. Just logging in for the day. Been a busy day. Just a moment let me check

I am attaching a diagram showing it. Its number 6 on the diagram

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks! Tomorrow will be warmer and I will be able to play with it again.

Sounds good. I will be around if you need anything. Just reply to this same question for follow ups at no extra cost.

Kavey
Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner