Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I’m working on a 2011 Chevy impala V6 on my car doesn’t

Customer Question
indicate what gear it’s in...
I’m working on a 2011 Chevy impala V6 on my car doesn’t indicate what gear it’s in. I’ve change the control module transmission control module, the body control module and still no luck. I also change the instrument cluster just a test to see if there’s a difference but still nothing
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
1/16/2018
Chevy Mechanic: BOBBYSS, Master Technician replied 1 month ago
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician

Hello my name is***** you tell me if the vehicle is still starting and running fine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Start and run good. Took it to the shop yesterday to get crank sensor relearn because I change the BCM and the shop wasn’t able to do it because he keep getting a message “the car need to be in Park or Neutral before the sensor can clear” so from that it’s telling me the ECM computer not seeing tranni signal although I’m able to drive the car.

Does the shift indication come up on the dash and it is incorrect or does it not come up at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It does not and that’s the problem I’m facing
Sorry for all of the questions but one last one. Was this occurring before the BCM was replaced and is this a new BCM.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the problem was There before changing the BCM and that’s reason why I changed it and yes the new BCM
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any update?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, I’m checking to see what’s the next step? I haven’t heard nothing 7 last night and trying to get this problem resolved.

You need to start by making sure there is power to the ECM/TCM and TRANS fuses under the hood. Then you need to make sure that the ground for transmission position above the starter is fine. if it all is good then you will need to check the signal from the position sensor in the module. I am also assuming that when you say module you changed the control module inside of the transmission or just the one on the outside?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Which fuse would this be?

They are listed with those acronyms in the fuse box under the hood. The fuse box lid will tell you their location.

Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 30 days ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

does it run and shift ok?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
it does

ok..

the only problem is the PRND321 isnt lighting up?

or,,does it light up but show it being in P all the time?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
That is correct. I change the BCM in the car and it triggered the Crank sensor relearned so I took it to the shop to get it cleared and they wasn’t able to do it because the system doesn’t see the car to be in park or neutral so something not communicating I’m not sure what it is .

i have seen this happen a few times on other gm cars and trucks..

and the problem was the ignition switch,,not the lock cylender ,,but the switch itself

Parts InformationOEM PartPrice

Ignition Switch

Ignition Switch-part#25757645...$29.58

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace

Ignition Switch, R&R B-0.7-0.9 hours labor

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Would this need to be program?

no..but you may need to do a relearn proceedure

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I can run to the junk yard and get one.

it cost less than $30..you may just want to get a new one from your parts store

if for some reason it isnt the switch,,i would then think it is the instrument cluster itself

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

blob:https://my.alldata.com/11f95487-c976-4268-87dd-decc6a54c618

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I already tried the instrument cluster and it didn’t do anything still the same message

ok,,i would think you need a ignition switch

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I am on my way to go pick up the parts right now so I will let you know what happened after install
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 29 days ago

please do

thanks

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I installed the switch last night but it’s in the same result
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 28 days ago

please stand by. Perhaps one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on here.

someone will be right with you.

thanks

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok
Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 28 days ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

New tech here...My name is ***** ***** see what I can come up with and get back to you

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok please

I see you said you have replaced the transmission control module...was this a new or used part

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
New part I bought. Would this need to be program?

Absolutely needs to be programmed. The trans module receives input from the internal mode switch inside of the transmission then sends a message via data to the cluster. You are going to have to get it programmed

Todd Audette
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician