Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2011 equinox it ran fine yesterday now today it…

Gary, I have a 2011 equinox...
Gary,
I have a 2011 equinox it ran fine yesterday now today it will not start. It will turn over and try to fire but will not start unless you hold the gas to the floor. Once it starts it will run al be it rough for a few minutes then die with the reduced power warning. Please help
Thanks,
Jeremy
1/15/2018
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

can you check for any codes set ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are no codes flashing

any access to a code reader ?

if not if you disconnect both battery cables for 5 minutes then touch the 2 cables together for 1 minute then reconnect both to the battery will it still do this ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will try

let me know

ill be here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It did not work. However with the gas cap off it will now start and run for a short time (longer than before) before the reduced power warning comes on.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You do not have to floor the gas now with the cap off.

usually when you have reduced power the computer can not read the throttle body

do you know where the throttle body is on this engine ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I need to unplug and reconnect it?

yes unplug it then plug it back in and do the battery thing again

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It did not work.

ok at this point you need the codes read

the odds are the throttle body is bad which is usually what causes this issue

if the codes read are TPS or throttle body codes the throttle body would need to be changed next

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this something I can do myself or will it need to be calibrated?

should be plug and play

but have the codes confirm it

Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By the way I just read the codes I have a P228d and a P0089 does this help?

those codes are saying a fuel pressure performance issue

Powertrain Management

• Vehicle
  • ALL Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC )
  • Testing and Inspection
  • P Code Charts
  • P228D
  • ALL Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC )

POWERTRAIN MANAGEMENT

DTC P0089, P00C6, P228C, or P228D

Diagnostic Instructions

* Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle (See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview > Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle) prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
* Review Strategy Based Diagnosis (See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview > Strategy Based Diagnosis) for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
* Diagnostic Procedure Instructions (See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview > Diagnostic Procedure Instructions) provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptors
DTC P0089
- Fuel Pressure Regulator Performance

DTC P00C6
- Fuel Rail Pressure Low During Engine Cranking

DTC P228C
- Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Control Performance - Low Pressure

DTC P228D
- Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Control Performance - High Pressure

Circuit/System Description

The fuel rail pressure sensor detects fuel pressure within the fuel rail. The engine control module (ECM) provides a 5 V reference voltage on the 5 V reference circuit and ground on the low reference circuit. The ECM receives a varying signal voltage on the signal circuit.

High pressure fuel is regulated by the high pressure fuel pump actuator, which is a part of the high pressure fuel pump. The high pressure fuel pump actuator is a solenoid valve. The ECM provides a voltage on the actuator high control circuit and ground on the actuator low control circuit. Both circuits are controlled through output drivers within the ECM. When deactivated, both drivers are disabled. When activated, the high control circuit driver energizes the high pressure fuel pump actuator and the low control circuit driver pulse-width modulates (PWM) the low control circuit to ground.

The high pressure mechanical fuel pump is driven by three lobes on the camshaft. The ECM uses the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor inputs to synchronize the high pressure fuel pump actuator with the position of each of the camshaft lobes. The ECM regulates fuel pressure by adjusting the portion of each pump stroke that provides fuel to the rail.

The ECM monitors the fuel rail fuel pressure sensor and the high pressure fuel pump actuator to determine if the commanded and actual pressure are within a predetermined range, or if the amount of fuel pressure correction exceeds a calibrated pressure.

Conditions for Running the DTC

P0089, P228C, or P228D
* DTC P0090, P0091, P0092, P0191, P0192, or P0193 is not set.
* The ignition voltage is less than 18 V.
* The deceleration fuel cut-off (DFCO) is inactive.
* The engine speed is greater than 25 RPM.
* The air bag is not deployed.
* The DTCs run continuously when the above conditions are met for 5 s.

P00C6
* DTC P0090, P0091, P0092, P00C8, P00C9, P00CA, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0128, P0192, P0193, P0335, P0336, P0340, P0341, P0345, P0346, P0365, P0366, P0390, P0391, P0627, P0628, P0629 are not set.
* The ignition voltage is more than 8 V.
* The engine coolant temperature is between -100 and +65°C (-148 and +149°F).
* The low side fuel pressure is more than 0 kPa (0 psi).
* The engine is not running.
* The DTC runs once for each engine start.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

P0089

The high pressure fuel pump actuator command necessary to maintain the desired fuel rail pressure is +/-2,500 kPa (363 psi) of the command expected by the controller. The condition exists for greater than 5 s.

P00C6

The ECM detects that the fuel pressure is not rising or has fallen beyond acceptable limits during engine cranking.

P228C

The actual fuel rail pressure is 1,500 kPa (218 psi) less than the desired fuel pressure. The condition exists for greater than 5 s.

P228D

The actual fuel rail pressure is 3,600 kPa (522 psi) greater than the desired fuel rail pressure. The condition exists for greater than 5 s.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

* DTCs P0089 and P00C6 are Type B DTCs.
* DTCs P228C and P228D are Type A DTCs.
* A message center or an indicator displays Reduced Engine Power.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

* DTCs P0089 and P00C6 are Type B DTCs.
* DTCs P228C and P228D are Type A DTCs.

Diagnostic Aids

* A restricted fuel feed pipe between the fuel feed pipe fuel pressure sensor and the high pressure fuel pump may set a DTC.
* A condition with the fuel tank fuel pump module or fuel pump flow control module may set these DTCs.
* A skewed fuel rail pressure sensor, or an intermittent condition in the fuel rail pressure sensor circuits may set these DTCs.
* A leaking or restricted fuel injector may set DTC P0089.
* A short to voltage in the crankshaft position signal circuit may set a DTC.
* A short to voltage in the camshaft position actuator solenoid valve control circuit may set a DTC.

Reference Information
Schematic Reference

Engine Controls Schematics (See: Powertrain Management > Electrical > Engine Controls Schematics)
Connector End View Reference

Component Connector End Views (See: Vehicle > Connector Views > Connector End Views By Name)
Description and Operation

Fuel System Description (See: Computers and Control Systems > Components > Fuel System Description)
Electrical Information Reference

* Circuit Testing (See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Circuit Testing)
* Connector Repairs (See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Connector Repairs)
* Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections (See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections)
* Wiring Repairs (See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Wiring Repairs)

DTC Type Reference

Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions (See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions > Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions)
Scan Tool Reference

Control Module References (See: Vehicle > Programming and Relearning) for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification

1. Observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTC P0627, P0628, P0629, P069E, or U0109 should not set.

♦ If a DTC is set refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle (See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions > Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle).

2. Attempt to start and idle the engine.
3. Observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTCs P0089, P00C6, P228C, and P228D should not set.
4. Engine idling, observe the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor parameter with a scan tool. The pressure should be approximately 1.9-2.1 Mpa (279-305 psi).
5. Command an increase and decrease in Fuel Pressure with a scan tool. Observe the scan tool Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor parameter. The Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor parameter should increase or decrease with each commanded state.
6. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify the DTC does not reset. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

Note: Circuit/System Verification must be performed first or misdiagnosis may result.

1. Ignition ON, observe the scan tool Fuel Pump Control Module Fuel Pressure Sensor parameter. Command an increase in Fuel Pressure with a scan tool. Verify the scan tool Fuel Pressure Sensor parameter increases to greater than 414 kPa (60 psi) as commanded.

♦ If less than the specified range, refer to Fuel System Diagnosis (See: Computers and Control Systems > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Fuel System Diagnosis).

Note: As little as 2 ohm on either circuit of the high pressure fuel pump actuator will cause these DTCs to set. Test the circuits of the high pressure fuel pump actuator for a high resistance if you suspect a condition.

2. Remove the G18 high pressure fuel pump and visually inspect the lobes on the camshaft for unusual wear.

♦ If the lobes appear normal, replace the G18 high pressure fuel pump.
♦ If the lobes are worn, replace the camshaft.

Component Testing
Static Test

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the G18 high pressure fuel pump.

Note: The DMM and test leads must be calibrated to 0 ohm in order to prevent misdiagnosis.

2. Test for 10 ohm plus/minus 1 ohm at 25°C (77°F) between the low control circuit terminal 1 and the high control circuit terminal 2.

♦ If not within the specified range, replace the G18 high pressure fuel pump.

3. Test for infinite resistance between each terminal and the G18 high pressure fuel pump housing.

♦ If not the specified value, replace the G18 high pressure fuel pump.

Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician