Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1989 5.7 liter throttle body engine. I was driving, engine…

1989 5.7 liter throttle body...
1989 5.7 liter throttle body engine. I was driving, engine was running fine, and came to stop sign. Upon trying to accelerate from the stop, the engine would hardly run. Bad miss and backfire visible up through the throttle body. Had to have it towed home. The ignition and engine management sensors all check out ok. There are no computer codes. It will run really rough for awhile and engine will have little or no acceleration when applying throttle. The throttle linkages are good and operating. I put a rebuild kit in the throttle body which had no effect on the above described symptoms. There is good (45 lbs ) fuel pressure. I checked to see if the catalytic converter or muffler were clogged resulting in too much back pressure. Both are ok. What do you think may be the problem?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/15/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

If you have that much fuel pressure on a 13-15 psi system, then the pressure regulator is bad. Also consider replacing that ignition module and P/U coil inside the distributor.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is a fuel pressure regulator that works. The figure I gave you is before the regulator. The distributed is new and the pick up co and module are good. What else is a good possibility?
Phone call session started

Thanks for the call.

I attached the procedure for the chain for you too.

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor