Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Tahoe with 136K on it. Over the past year,

Hello - I have...

Hello - I have a 2002 Tahoe with 136K on it. Over the past year, after I fill the gas tank and drive it down the highway, if I come to a stop light or pull off the road, and stop and then start down the highway again, the service engine light goes on. My code reader shows a p0157. No other issues that I can see - it just does this once or twice per tank of fuel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

Just an inexpensive code obd II tool that works with the Torque app on my phone

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Chevy Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

I usually have a local mechanic do my work -

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is it

To clarify - if I'm just driving around town, it never seems to pop a code. But if I get it out on the highway for a while....then come into a nearby town and then head out of town - it seems to pop the code.
I suppose I should also note that I use my Torque OBD II phone app to clear the code each time.
1/15/2018
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Are you looking for some possible causes as to what could set this code?

Has anything been replaced for this code as of yet?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Just trying to determine whether I need to replace the 02 sensor behind the Catalytic Converter or whether I should consider other possibilities first

I can certainly help answer that for you.

Unable to talk via phone at this time

What size engine do you have?

4.8 or 5.3?

5.3l

I recommend checking all wiring to and from the oxygen sensor first before replacing it. Also, be sure there are no air or exhaust leaks as sometimes these are known to trip oxygen sensor codes. If all checks out good, replace the oxygen sensor.

I am glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN