Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Service 4-wheel drive light on. 2005 Chevy silverado. I

Customer Question
Service 4-wheel drive light...

Service 4-wheel drive light on

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Chevy Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2005 Chevy silverado

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven’t done anything yet, the light just came on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can I take it to Auto Zone and have them check for a code?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/15/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When this light comes on this indicates the transfer case computer has detected a fault with one of the*****components.What has to be done is to have the fault codes read out with a compatible scan tool plugged into your vehicle that can read the transfer case computer.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault.I have seen the transfer case actuator as one of the main causes for this issue here.

Any shop or dealer can read out the codes as well as diagnose and repair the fault for a fee.In some cases, a local parts store can read out the codes at no charge to you.You would need to ask the parts store if they can read the transfer case computer codes for you as some have a scan tool that can do this and others may not.Autozone should be able to do this for you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Cancel everything

Are you saying you no longer need help with this?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.