Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just replaced my starter and there is no fuel going to my…

Customer Question
I just replaced my...

I just replaced my starter and there is no fuel going to my engine. I believe my theft system is preventing my 2006 chevy silverado truck from starting. How do I get the theft system to reset?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

The new starter will not engage

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed the starter and relay. Charged the battery. Checked the fuel bar. there is no fuel going to the engine. I think the theft system is at work

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/15/2018
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 7 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online.

Did you replace the starter to fix this issue or was the starter replaced prior to this?

I assumed it was not starting because of the starter. I guess it could have been something else. The starter that I replaced was not the original. I took this last replacement starter back to the store and they tested it and found it to be good. I replaced the relay. The starter will not turnover the engine
I wish you would solve the problem. I explained my problem last night and you responded with selling me more stuff. Today still no response and upselling me again. Starting to think this is a scam.

I have no control over the site automatically posting the requests for a live phone call, as I mentioned I am third party to the site, i log on just like you.
I asked that because if you replace the starter and then this started, I would be thinking you hit the crankshaft position sensor above the starter and damaged it, that is why that question was important.

Now if you really think this is a scam, I will gladly send you over to the customer service people who run the site and you can get a refund, otherwise I will help you, but since I cannot see your vehicle and the info I need you did not post, I have to ask questions.

I didn't check the crankshaft position

Ok, check that please, its located directly above the starter and very common for getting hit when removing the starter. If you take that out, it will prevent it from starting.

I dont know how this would affect the starter activating to turn over the engine

If you wish to try the theft relearn, it is below.
Turn the key on and attempt to start the car, It may crank, it may start and stall or it may do nothing at all, this is fine, still cycle the key to start then release the key back to run. Wait 10 minutes with the key in run. The passlock light should be flashing and the DIC will say "Service Vehicle" or "Security" or have a picture of a car with a lock during that 10 minute span. After 10 minutes has passed, turn off the car, count to 10, and try to start it again and release the key back to run. Wait another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again and release the key to run. Wait another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again. It should start up this time. The passlock has been learned. During this process, turn the fans off, radio off and cycle the headlights off so the battery will not go dead. If needed, use a battery charger.