Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My van alarm has locked my ignition and does not shut off…

Customer Question
My van alarm has...

My van alarm has locked my ignition and does not shut off when I use the key in on position and press the button solution.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

Yes I have

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

1995 gmc van

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Went and bought a new battery, installed it and hooked everything up. tried to start and alarm went off again. Turned it off with the key in on, press button solution and it worked. Left van for about an hour not running, went out to van to retrieve gloves smelled melting plastic, heard faint hum, tried to start van and nothing. Decided to disconnect battery, as soon as I loosened the nut the alarm went off. and now nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really other than I am an old lady and the van is handicapped equiped for my husband (wheelchair bound)

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/15/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics replied 7 months ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Auto Mech / Electronics

sorry for the delay..........
my van alarm has locked my ignition and does not shut off when I use the key in on position and press the button solution.
???
.

Are you stating the Ignition Switch will NOT turn??
Is this Factory Alarm or Aftermarket Alarm?
IF Aftermarket, what is the Brand & Model / Part Number?
Where did the "smell" emanate from?

.