Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1516 error code is appearing and getting reduced power mode,

Customer Question
1516 error code is...

1516 error code is appearing and getting reduced power mode

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

186000 and I do have a scan tool

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2003 Silverado SS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Checked wiring on throttle body for broken wires all good.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
Can stop vehicle and wiggle throttle body wire harness. Get back in start vehicle and drive a couple of miles before it happens again and repeat.
1/13/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience: Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Roger.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

P1516 is TB body issue and is common on these vehicles

you said you have a scan tool ,does it read live data, whats is the APP( Acelatro pedal Volatge reading at idle and when you rev up does voltage increase to a max of 5 volts ?

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The commanded throttle position (TP), based on accelerator pedal position (APP) and possibly other limiting factors, is compared to the actual TP. The 2 values should be within a calibrated range of each other. Both the powertrain control module (PCM) and the throttle actuator control (TAC) module redundantly monitor the commanded and actual TP. This DTC sets if the control module detects an out-of-range condition between commanded and actual throttle position.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
- DTCs P0601, P0602, P0604, P0606, P1516, P1518, P2108 are not set.
- DTCs P0120, P0220, P2135 are not active at the same time.
- DTCs P0120 and P0220 are not active at the same time.
- The ignition switch is in the crank or run position.
- The ignition voltage is more than 8.5 volts.
- The TAC system is not in the battery saver mode.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
- The control module detects that the commanded and actual throttle positions are not within a calibrated range of each other.
- The above condition is met for less than 1 second.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS
- The PCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
- The PCM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The PCM stores this information in the Freeze Frame and/or the Failure Records.
- The control module commands the TAC system to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode.

OR

- Under certain conditions the control module commands the engine OFF.
- The message center displays Reduced Engine Power.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC
- The PCM turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
- A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
- A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
- Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
- Inspect for mechanical concerns or binding that may be temperature related. Components may not move freely in extreme heat or cold due to the presence of contaminants or ice formation.
- Inspect the TAC module connectors for signs of water intrusion. If water intrusion occurs, multiple DTCs may set without any circuit or component conditions found during diagnostic testing.
- When the TAC module detects a condition within the TAC system, more than 1 TAC system related DTC may set. This is due to the many redundant tests run continuously on this system. Locating and repairing an individual condition may correct more than 1 DTC. Disconnecting components during testing may set additional DTCs. Remember this if you review the stored information in Capture Info.
- For an intermittent, refer to Intermittent Conditions. See: Computers and Control Systems > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview > Intermittent Conditions

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions
Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

There is A TSB( Technical service Bulletin ) on this ,click on link to view TSB bulletin

We can try cleaning it first before replacement , if voltages does not change or slow to change

And this is the Removal And Replace procedure,click on link to view

if wires are good, and you cleaned , most likely need replacement

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Standing by.

Hey Dwayne , Did you receive my reply with Pdf file links I sent you for this issue

did you clink on link and where to able to view them about TB body replacement and the tsb bulletin on it ?

Please Let Me Know if you did not ,
Thank You
Chad Farhat