Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Im looking to wire led lights in the bed of my 17 colorado.

Im looking to wire...

Im looking to wire led lights in the bed of my 17 colorado. i want to wireitto the cargo light, so when i turn the cargo light on the lights in the bed illuminate

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Aftermarket led lights.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Colorado yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far ive only tried to locate a way to run the wiring into the bed from the cab

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can thing of... its a 5ft bed if that makes any difference

1/12/2018
Don
Don, ASE Certified Technician

hi there my name is don i will try to help you on this

your Colorado has a rear light on the cab does it not ?

do you have a canopy on it as well ?

don

3rd brake light/cargo light... no cap..it does have a tonneau cover.and is a crew cab...i believe i need to wire it to the blue/wht or blk/wht wire going to the cargo lamp...just need to kno whow to get to them and how to best run the wires from inside the cab to inside the bed.

hi there that cargo light is controlled via your rheostat on the dash as well is it not

?

where are you planning to put the cargo light under the tonneau ?

Hi there thanks for that great information

did you wanted it hooked up to a switch or just Y'd into the existing cab light ?

looks great by the way

i take it thats not your truck lol

don

not yet lol.. but will by the end... im open to whatever works best and easiest
its raining here today and will plummet to freezing temps for the next week..i did crawl under a little today trying to find how the factory wiring made its way into the bed, but was unable to find it with water dripping in my face...

hi there thanks for that great information

the easiest way to do this is connect it to the existing cargo light it already has wires to it

you can just remove the rear head liner panel enough to access the wiring and connect the wire to that

or run a wire from the cargo light exterior down to the led lights some where before the light i would recommend putting a fuse link in there .

running on the exterior the wire will show however and you would have to cover it some how

the other option is to connect it on the inside of the cab and run it down to where you can drill a small hole . 3 option connect to your switch like you mentioned and you can use the the rubber grommet on the firewall where the wires come out and fish the wire from there along the frame rail to the box but you should put wire loom to cover the wires . i would say that most likely the wires will run all the way to the back where the lights and trailer plug is .

the cargo light wiring will be under the sill plates usually drivers side and go up the post and there will be a hole drilled where the cargo light is and mounts

if you run the wire to the rear of the truck you can make your led connections there . do not hink it will be an easy chore .

there is another option however you could put a recessed toggle switch at the rear of the truck and wire it there to a power source thats there already but you would have to physically turn it on by hand if you use one of the tail light wires it would be an easy install only thing is you would have to have the tail light on and the toggle switch

that is the easiest way

hope this makes sense

have agreat day

Don

ty

your very welcome have a great day please do not forget to press the accept button

hi there can you please rate my answer so i can get paid please thanks

don

Don
Don, ASE Certified Technician