Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I'm having issues with idling and stalling. Check engine…

Hello, I'm having issues...

Hello, I'm having issues with idling and stalling

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Check engine light on yes. stall at idle only. I just replace the ignition control module and code p0300 has gone off but the same symptoms exist now it gives code p0106

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

05 cobalt 2.2L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing myself. cleaned throttle body. replaced ignition control module

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's all

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/12/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

ok thanks

The code P0106 is most likely the cause of the stalling problem you are having. This code sets in most cases due sludge build up in the throttle body which is normal build up over time. The place to start to solve this is to disconnect the negative battery cable to clear the computer and then take some throttle body safe cleaner and a soft cloth and give the throttle body and throttle plate a good cleaning. Once you have it nice and clean, reconnect the battery cable and start the engine and let it idle for 15 to 20 minutes so the computer system can relearn the closed throttle values. Once you have done this, take it out for a drive and see if the stalling clears. In most cases, this should solve the stall concern for you.

I actually already tried this. first thing I tried was even a brand new throttle body which didn't solve the issue. then I returned that and cleaned my old throttle body. at the same time I replaced the ignition control module due to the p0300 codes. I'm still getting the exact same symptoms

When you cleaned the Throttle body did you disconnect the negative battery cable to clear the PCM?

i believe so. i have been pretty back and forth over this issue. i know i disconnected it when installing the new one but i can't remember if i disconnected after cleaning the old one. would it actually make that much of a difference?
i don't believe the throttle body was part of the initial problem and the symptoms are still exactly the same

Yes, it will make a big difference because if you do not disconnect it , it will not clear the learned closed throttle values from the computer. If you have not cleared it try doing do and while you have the cable off there is one other thing to clean, get some MAF cleaner and give the MAF a good cleaning as well.

do you think the initial problem for codes p0300 was the ICM?

The most common cause for this code P0300 to set on this engine was in fact caused by a failing ICM. If clearing and cleaning the MAF and the TB does not clear this then the next step would be to test the MAP sensor, are you able to do the testing?

i actually ordered a new map sensor already. should arrive by tonight. figured I'd just buy a new one since it's not all that pricey. I'm just concerned that I'm getting the exact same symptoms as i was before even with the icm change. regardless of the codes I'm getting
the car runs perfect while I'm in gear and on the gas. as soon as I'm in neutral and the rpms drop it drops hard and almost shuts off, then it'll bounce back and level out

Well, the code P0106 can set due to a failing MAP so replacing it may be a good idea. If after you have done this then you may still need to run the pinpoint test for this code. Im going to go ahead and post it for just in case you end up needing it. See the link below. I have also enclosed the MAP replacement steps for you as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/23914psd3yz3auf/Map%20testing%20Jan%2012.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9m82sljv3kd5kv/Map%20replace%20Jan%2012.pdf?dl=0

let's say i take off the battery terminal tonight. install map sensor. clean TB and MAF. reconnect battery. and I'm still getting the same problem. any clue what the next step would be? i feel like that's what's going to happen. hopefully not though

That is where I would start and if the problem remains and you are still setting the P0106 then I would run the pinpoint test for this code to make sure the circuit is okay.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
ok i feel like the next step will just be to bring it in. thanks for the help

Your very welcome and thank you as well.

Glad I was able to help you at no charge, thank you just the same and best to you.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician