Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Chevy impala 3.8l non supercharged. Vehicle…

Customer Question
Hello I have a 2004...
Hello I have a 2004 Chevy impala 3.8l non supercharged. Vehicle started fishtailing across the road and I barely managed to get home.The fishtailing felt like it was coming from the rear. Now when I back in to the driveway the front tires just spin and vehicle won't move but when i put the car into drive it goes forward. Just had tires put on the front also. Could the transmission be going out?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/9/2018
Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

when you go forward does it feel normal or does it feel like something is holding you back?

It feels fine other than a little thump coming out of 1st gear

get the back end off the ground. try spinning each tire

When I lifted the rear end both tires spun freely

ok. and it still doesn't want to move in reverse?

I was able to back the car into the garage. Had to turn steering wheel back and forth like the back tires are not getting any grip to them but tires are not that bad
Went underneath and noticed both lateral arms were bent. Just bought the vehicle about a month ago so didn't know they were bent

back tires arent supposed to have any drive to them. all the drive comes from the front tires

Yea I figured since it was fwd. But don't understand why front tires were just spinning and car only moved a little

check the tranny fluid. make sure its full, reddish/pink and doesn't smell burnt

Check that it's full and not burnt

get the front end up off the ground. start it and put it in reverse.

Just did it tires spun freely and when I accelerated the tires began to move faster

ok, does it make a clunk when you shift into drive with the wheels off the ground?

hows it going?