Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Recently the isle in my car started acting erratic when I…

Customer Question
Recently the isle in...

Recently the isle in my car started acting erratic when I would come to a stop and sometimes it would die. At the same time I noticed that I was smelling gas. My brother worked on the car shortly before I bought it from him in the beginning of 2017 when he was changing something he broke one of the clips that is connected to the Purge canister and then used electric take to secure it. Do you think that would cause my to act this way?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It was getting bad gas milage but it got better when I recently bought new tires it starts fine the isle is a little high at first but when it warms up goes back to what I think is normal for this car

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Th!nk yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well I had a friend who knows about cars look at it because I barely made it home the other night. He took something off and cleaned them and retaped the Purge canister. I really haven't been driving it that far but when I have drive it it hasn't died and the idle hasn't done much of anything. But I can fill that it doesn't fill normal

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My check engine like has came on a few times and the code was a P0455

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
1/8/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

The code you have is a leak related to your broken canister.

So you need to replace the necessary parts.

Clear the code afterwards.

Gary

Would that problem cause my cars idle to run rough and sometimes die when I come to a stop?

Yes, more than likely.

It is an unmeasured airleak, not via the MAF ( Airflow meter), the engine runs lean as you are slowing to idle speed.

Rough idle, stalling, etc are the usual results.

Gary

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assist to you.

Kind regards.

Gary